Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions welcome for new guy

I have been lurking here for a while trying to learn. I have a few questions. I currently have a kimber tactical 1911 in 45 and was wondering if it would be worth it to pick up another pistol for shooting uspsa/ipsc? I currently shoot it in CDP class of IDPA but the 45 puts me in a dissadvantage( I believe) for uspsa/ipsc. I know that I want to stick to the 1911/2011 frame. I also see that single stack seems to be a difficult class to start in. I was thinking or something like an STI edge to shoot limited.

I do reload, currently I reload .45 and 9mm but can easily setup for .40

Any advice would be greatly appriciated as now I am hooked on competitive shooting thanks to IDPA.

thanks

Shaun

I would say stay with what you know for awhile. Your first season is going to be dedicated to learning your area, the rules, the people, and what you like. Get a feel for what works for you best before you invest. May save you money, time and some frustration in the short term. After all, you're in it to have a good time ... let that develop and start working on serious competiton for next season.

Dave

Edited by Dave S

I would say stay with what you know for awhile. Your first season is going to be dedicated to learning your area, the rules, the people, and what you like. Get a feel for what works for you best before you invest. May save you money, time and some frustration in the short term. After all, you're in it to have a good time ... let that develop and start working on serious competiton for next season.

Yep! Shoot the Kimber Tactical in SS. You probably need about 6 mags, but other than that, you should be set. Learn the rules, the game, maybe takle the RO class and make sure you like it and then wathc what others have and shoot. That will be the less costly way to both improve and get into the game. Welcome. :cheers:

I'm just finishing my first year in USPSA, I too came over from CDP in IDPA. I've been shooting Single Stack all season. Stick with the platform you know and spend the rest of your time and energy an learning the game and meeting people. I think you will find that you do just fine in Single Stack.

I also see that single stack seems to be a difficult class to start in.

If that is the case,

You need to go right out and buy a revolver chambered in .45 acp.

Not really.

Shoot what you got after a few matches you will know more about what you want in the long term.

Run what you brung. Shoot your Kimber in the first few matches and try to figure out what you want to do going forward, whether thats stick with SS, go limited, or some other division. I still shoot my kimber in SS, and have done very few modifications for the 'game', just a small concealable magwell, fiber front sight, and a larger mag release. Granted its not as good of a gun as say a tricked out STI or some custom gun, but it works for me in my skill level.

just run with it, dont worry about being over matched or under gunned, single stack was designed to bring back the 'roots' of USPSA style shooting, biggest mistake people make is that they think they automatically need a 'tricked out' 3000 dollar+ racegun to compete in the matches....big hint...the only competition is within yourself and how you negotiate the challenge(the stage) with what equipment you have...period, as they say, if you keep looking around at other people andtheir stuff, you mite just trip an fall...shoot what ya got and go from there

Show up. Have fun. Say, "Hey, I haven't shot USPSA before." Shoot what you brung.

The important part isn't bringing the newest ball and the fanciest shoes to the basketball court. The important part is to show up and actually play some basketball.

:cheers:

I say stay with SS also. You will not be at a disadvantage there! If you have 10 rd mags you might try Limited 10 but SS is a good place to start.

Richard

PS: I believe Limited would be a harder place to start than SS but that is just my opinion FWIW.

Edited by chirpy

Most people say its actually easier to start in open, or if you can't afford a open setup, then limited. These classes take most of the 'equipment' out of the equation, and you're focusing and concentrating on just shooting instead of when and where to do reloads and such. After you've polished your core shooting and moving skills, switching to divisions like production, L10, and SS become easier since you already know the core skills.

I say the easiest way to get started in USPSA is with the gun you already have. Once you've shot a few matches and know you like it, you can sort of go the direction you'd like, say if most of your friends are shooting limited, you could go to that class and see how you compare with them.

Edited by kalaur

Most people say its actually easier to start in open, or if you can't afford a open setup, then limited. These classes take most of the 'equipment' out of the equation, and you're focusing and concentrating on just shooting instead of when and where to do reloads and such. After you've polished your core shooting and moving skills, switching to divisions like production, L10, and SS become easier since you already know the core skills.

But the skills are the skills and if you shoot matches, and never practice, like me, then SS and Lim 10 do in fact lead to a sharper improvement. I shot a few matches in L10 after years in Lim. I got 1st or 2nd whereas I was getting 6-10 in Limited. Kind of an ego boost, albeit artificial.

But the skills are the skills and if you shoot matches, and never practice, like me, then SS and Lim 10 do in fact lead to a sharper improvement. I shot a few matches in L10 after years in Lim. I got 1st or 2nd whereas I was getting 6-10 in Limited. Kind of an ego boost, albeit artificial.

I'd go as far as saying it 'seemed' like there was a sharper improvement. Placing 1st or 2nd in a division that only has 6 shooters is different than placing 6-10th in a division that has at least a GM or two ;-) I do agree, if you're a big ego kind of guy, then placing top 3 has its benefits :-)

I'd go as far as saying it 'seemed' like there was a sharper improvement. Placing 1st or 2nd in a division that only has 6 shooters is different than placing 6-10th in a division that has at least a GM or two ;-) I do agree, if you're a big ego kind of guy, then placing top 3 has its benefits :-)

Nope, there was sharper improvement on reloads, as proven by the clock. The other skills were unchanged. You other comment is totally true, which is way I said "Kind of an ego boost, albeit artificial."