Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any pictures for Rusty Kidd's "Pit Viper"

AzoneHits

Hi everyone. I have heard that rusty kidd has been building a commander type open gun aka " Pit Viper ". Has anyone seen and shoot them ? I also wanted to see some pictures if someone has acces to it. You can send me a private message for the info i need. Thanks.

I have (and have had) two Rusty Kidd Vipers and can attest to them being THE best pistols I've ever owned, and have ever seen built.

Both are/were (gave the first one back to the original owner) w/ 5" slides, 4-port hybrid barrel (that Rusty drills), 3 port comp and two side ports through the slide and barrel. The guns are both extremely light at 39 oz. and balance was under trigger guard. The guns too are very accurate. My current one can shoot .50" groups at 50 yards out of a rest (Lord knows I can't shoot that well).

If you're looking to pick one up, I can advise you that you will not be disappointed. The work that Rusty puts in is well less than what he asks for in price. One bit of advice is to not to tell him to take his time...'cause he will. :D

I'll post pictures as soon as I can of a "regular" Viper.

Rich

I've seen the viper and the mongose guns. In fact my friend has the viper. I just want to see what a "pit viper" looks like. I know he really does well with fitting the gun because my friend's gun is still tight after several thousand rounds. Surely a highly recommended gunsmith no doubt about it.

rusty kidds' original viper was based on a heavily modified 6" slide with 6 hybrid ports and a very short comp with radial ports only. the pit viper was built using a 5" slide and basically a four port hybrid barrel. both guns had the side ports through the slide and barrel (ro's hated them) i personally owned two of the original vipers and they were excellent. i have shot at least a few of the pit vipers and they are very nice as well. i also know of at least one shortened 5" gun that he has built at the customers request, but as far as i know he hasn't built any guns using the commander set up. as a joke we started calling my commander guns by the call name mongoose. pun intended. rusty has built 3 open guns for me personally and the workmanship was extraordinary. no one would be disapointed. and if you catch him at tax time he can build a gun rather quickly. he built my first one in about 7 days. good shooting, j.l. hardy