Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did I ruin my brass?

nheiny13

I am new to reloading rifle (as you will soon find out) and am starting with .223. I got the RCBS X Die and the instructions said size then trim to 0.020 under max case length. Well, somewhere along the line I thought it said trim that amount under normal trim to length. Did some research and came up with a trim to length of 1.60. Again somewhere along the line I messed up with the numbers and trimmed all my brass 0.20 under 1.60 so I have roughly 1500 pieces of once fired brass with a length of 1.38-1.40. Is this too short and now useless. Right now I have 1500 62gr bullets with no cannelure that I was planning on using with this brass.

Just by memory, I think the bottom of the neck on a .223 is 1.55 Have you trimmed all of the neck away? My first reaction to your info is that yes, the brass is ruined. Just FYI, most once fired .223 requires no trimming, in my experience. I check dimensions after sizing and only trim when needed.

Disregard my post I guess. I'm an idiot. Serves me right for going off of numbers by memory. I guess I didn't screw it up as bad as I thought. Anyways, I just measured the brass again (I really need to pay attention to ALL of the numbers instead of the just the last two on the digital micrometer) and they measure 1.736-1.742. This is still shorter than what everyone on here trims too. Is this still workable, or is it too short?

well I would say don't depend on that brass for serious work or a match but it might make practice rds. load a few and check neck tension. On the upside, you prob won't have to trim it again...........

my loading books say 1.76 max length on the cases. I trim to 1.75

Neck diameter .253 in (6.4 mm)

Shoulder diameter .354 in (9.0 mm)

Base diameter .376 in (9.6 mm)

Rim diameter .378 in (9.6 mm)

Rim thickness .045 in (1.1 mm)

Case length 1.76 in (45 mm)

Overall length 2.26 in (57 mm)

Edited by biggdawg

Shouldn't be a problem. The brass should stretch after the next firing, anyway. Just make sure you have enough neck tension. I use a Lee factory crimnp die to make sure I have equal neck tension and to avoid bullets from seating deeper due to recoil.

On bolt rifles I use a chamber length gauge from Sinclair to tell me exactly what my trim length is, I only use the books for AR15 and other auto loaders, I think your gonna be fine

Edited by 427Cobra