Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pressure signs

texarkana

The general recommendation that I am getting for a super using N105 is ..... 10 gr. with 124 jhp & 1.235 oal. Well I loaded some of that up and went to the range. With 9.4 gr. of N105, 124 jhp & an average o.a.l. of 229.3 I was seeing a little flattening of the primers. Will that 5-6 thousands make that much difference? I am shooting a stock EAA Gold, and loading on a square deal.

The general recommendation that I am getting for a super using N105 is ..... 10 gr. with 124 jhp & 1.235 oal. Well I loaded some of that up and went to the range. With 9.4 gr. of N105, 124 jhp & an average o.a.l. of 229.3 I was seeing a little flattening of the primers. Will that 5-6 thousands make that much difference? I am shooting a stock EAA Gold, and loading on a square deal.

Sound like Federal Primers, they are very soft. CCI small Pistol is harder. When I was shooting a Gold Team I ran IMR7623 7.2Gr, and that was the Load Henning gave me. I later switched to N350 and eventually to AA#7 (very similar to N105). Actually between the 3 there wasn't enough difference to tell them apart in the V8 gun. That 5-6 thousands isn't going to hurt anything. I can't say what works good in the V12, however, you are using one of the slower powders which will produce less pressure at the same velocity as the faster powders like 3N37 or IMR7625. In 9 major you can't make major without knocking some of the roundness out of the primer corner, but 38 Super with a primer other than Federal it should still have round corners. If you start to get primer flow, order another slide or back it off.

I always double check my powder loads, yes I use an electronic scale to set the charge weight but when I think I have it I go to the beam scale to check it. If they are within a .1 all is good, in cold weather I've had the electronic get way off till it warms up.

Edited by CocoBolo

Sound like Federal Primers, they are very soft.

Thanks CocoBolo - explains the slight flattening I saw shooting my .308 reloads last week and they were nowhere near hot. First time shooting Fed 210Ms versus the Remington I always shot before. Part of me was concerned but the logical side of me was saying "there's no way - has to be the primers." Everything else on the casing looked clean.