Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster for 6" pistol

I already have a bladetech DOH and even with the screws cranked down I don't always feel like it is enough retention. Anyone using a serpa or safariland ALS or even 6004 type holster for a 6" STI? I haven't found a model specific holster for a 6" gun but that doesn't mean that something for another gun won't work per se.

What are you doing that you feel you're going to loose your pistol?

Backflips, riding roller coasters, bungee jumping, you know your basic stuff like that....

I am just wondering if there are any options for an actual retention holster. I just feel that losing 1 second on a draw is not going to kill my match on a 100 second stage, however driving 12 hours and hitting the Dairy Queen on the first stage would really chap my hide.

Backflips, riding roller coasters, bungee jumping, you know your basic stuff like that....

I am just wondering if there are any options for an actual retention holster. I just feel that losing 1 second on a draw is not going to kill my match on a 100 second stage, however driving 12 hours and hitting the Dairy Queen on the first stage would really chap my hide.

I made my own holster and a thumb break to go with it.

Get some velcro and put some hook on the holster where the safety would be and above the pistol.

Cut some two sided loop and now you've got a strip that you can pull off before you draw.

WOW a 100 second stage :surprise: That must be 3gun, right?

Is it for a STI 1911 or 2011?

If it's a 1911, I'm sure Blade-Tech can make you one of their WRS Duty Holsters for a 6" 1911. Heck, they list it for all of the other slide lengths.

If it's a 2011, have you thought about a race holster, just running with it locked until you need to draw. Most are pretty fast and easy to unlock, so they wouldn't add much to your draw time.

-Randy

If it's a 2011, have you thought about a race holster, just running with it locked until you need to draw. Most are pretty fast and easy to unlock, so they wouldn't add much to your draw time.

-Randy

Race holsters are frequently illegal outside of open in multigun matches.

I made my own holster and a thumb break to go with it.

Get some velcro and put some hook on the holster where the safety would be and above the pistol.

Cut some two sided loop and now you've got a strip that you can pull off before you draw.

Can you post a picture of it

WOW a 100 second stage :surprise: That must be 3gun, right?

Correct. And that is what your time is if you are having a good run. Blue Ridge had stages that were well past that!

I use a blackhawk serpa for 3 gun. It's locked in and will cause a wedgie if you forget to hit the release.

Shoot them an email and see if they will make one for your 6" pistol.

Dave

aa2647ae.jpg

You can see it in use in three of the videos in my signature however, I've never been in a scenario when I needed more retention than the knob. I do have four of those strips just in case front flips are required during the COF and the idea is to drop them and (hopefully) recover them after use.

Edited by DyNo!

-Randy

My bad. I missed the part where he stated which division he was shooting in. Again, are we talking about a 1911 or 2011?

Thanks,

-Randy

Edited by double_r76

-Randy

My bad. I missed the part where he stated which division he was shooting in. Again, are we talking about a 1911 or 2011?

Thanks,

-Randy

2011 for tac irons

I think you're worrying too much. I used this Blade-tech at the last IronMan I shot and never felt like I would loose the gun, even on tower and slide. The front has been cut down for a faster draw with the longer gun.

post-2055-068854500 1305212036_thumb.jpg

I think you're worrying too much. I used this Blade-tech at the last IronMan I shot and never felt like I would loose the gun, even on tower and slide. The front has been cut down for a faster draw with the longer gun.

That very well could be the truth. I use a Safariland 6004 at work and I honestly don't think that it slows me down enough where it would really hurt my time in a 3 gun match. I also realize that by having a 6" STI this problem is self inflicted. I just wanted to see if anyone was using something that I didn't know about.

• 4 weeks later...