Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm COAL

msr1221

Hello Everyone,

I am new to reloading and could use some help on how to figure COAL for 9mm 115 grn. I will be using Remington 115 grn fmj bullets,but haven't decided on any powder type yet. I have noticed factory ammo differs in OAL. Is there any standard way to figure COAL?I am at a loss on how to figure where to start. Any help on how to get started or where to look would be great.-Thank's

For OAL, start with what is listed from the powder manufacturers in their load data. Of course, you can only go as long as your mags will stand but just start with what's listed. As you gain more experience with reloading and your firearm, you can feel out what works best.

What type of gun are you going to be using? I agree with gng, always start with the low-end of the load data from the powder manufacturer. Then, slowly and carefully work your way up.

I personally have had the best luck with Accurate Solo 1000 and know many that love Titegroup and HS-6. For my 5" Single Stack barrel, I load 4.2 grains of Solo 1000 with 125 grain Bayou Bullets (www.bayoubullets.net) at an OAL of 1.155". This runs anywhere from 130 to 135pf depending on atmospheric conditions. I like the slide to be snappy. This load also works well for my Production gun: Springfield XDM 9mm, just a hair slower.

You specified 115gr FMJ. I reload 9mm, using Win 231, but I use MG 124JHP, at COAL of 1.126.

I use these cartridges in both a Glock 34, and Glock 17 with no problems. I use a Dillon RL550B with standard Dillon dies.

Try making some dummy rounds in your mags, and in your barrel. That will let you know if the OAL you are using will work in your weapon, and mags. Good luck.

This is probably a good load to start off with, taken from the Hodgdon manual...

115 GR. SPR GDHP Hodgdon Titegroup .355" 1.125" 4.5 1135 29,500 CUP 4.8 1158 30,500 CUP

This should be a safe, good starting point with a very well liked powder and a 115 JHP bullet. I know it says Gold Dot but it's a JHP similar to what you will probably use and you should get very similar results. Remember you can start at 10% below the maximum so that's about 4.3-4.4 but the minimum load of 4.5 at 1135 will give you a 130 PF, which would be about perfect for minor loads.

Good luck and be safe...

Hello: My 12 year old sons Glock 34 load is 4.7 grains of Tite Group, 115 JHP Montana Golds loaded to 1.140" OAL. This is 142PF and works great for him. Thanks, Eric

OK, I'll ask....why is he using a round with 142PF? For plinking and having fun? or for USPSA/IPSC? I ask because Minor is 125, Major is 165. So you are waaaay over minor, and wont' make major, (provided you're shooting Open anyway).

As long as we're loading and having fun and being safe, it doesn't matter...I'm just curious.

Hello Everyone,

I am new to reloading and could use some help on how to figure COAL for 9mm 115 grn. I will be using Remington 115 grn fmj bullets,but haven't decided on any powder type yet. I have noticed factory ammo differs in OAL. Is there any standard way to figure COAL?

msr1221 -

You need some basic information first. Here are 3 rules you should know as a reloader....

• SAAMI standardized the maximum OAL of a 9x19 Luger cartridge at 1.169". Longer cartridges will most probably will not fit your magazine. Seeing as how all reloading presses generate some variation in length, setting your longest OAL (goal) at 1.160" allows you to shoot any that may come out of the press at 1.165". Follow?

• The longest usable OAL is determined by how your bullet fits your barrel. You are not likely to have issues with a Glock, but a Springfield XD or CZ would be another story.

• The shortest OAL comes from the published load. You can always use a longer OAL than the load suggests because that lowers the pressure and errs toward safety. Never go shorter than the data shows.

So the longest OAL is set by the barrel/bullet combination, not to exceed 1.169". The shortest OAL is in your load data.

Hope this helps! ;)

Edited by rfwobbly

rfwobbly-

Any and all information helps and and that's why I joined this forum, The shooters here have more knowledge than I could ever have expected.And have been very generous.I just got thru setting up my Dillon SDB tonight and started making some dummy rounds and started to see how everything goes together and works which makes understanding a little easier.

Again,Much Thank's-

Hello: We tried different bullet weights and power factors on the Glock 34 with little success. I am trying to get him setup to shoot Limited minor in USPSA. The pistol works 100% with the light bullet and the 142PF. He can handle the pistol just fine also. He is not a big kid so the quick recoil and power factor is helping him I think. We tried 147's, 125's, 121's and settled on the 115's. We also tried 126-142PF and the only way it would cycle 100% was at the 142PF. I don't want him to get frustrated with a pistol that does not go bang all the time. The SDB is a great reloader and wonderful for loading 9mm. I have owned 5 of them and they are great. So great other people just had to buy them from me :roflol: If you let us know what pistol you are loading for we can give you a OAL that will work in it. Thanks, Eric

hodgdon manual and calipers are always a great place to start. depending on what and why you are reloading for also matters some, if its for a cartridge i just plan to plink with I go to a place like federal's website get the valocity the manufacture a specific bullet for say 9mm hp and 1000 fps. i go to hodgdon and see what load they have that comes close to factory duplication then chrono it and adjust accordingly. I do this so I can practice and tune for something like hydrashok and not have to pay big bucks to do it.