Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine choices...

JayTray

Recently traded my production glock for a SS 1911 .45

So now I am deciding on which 6 magazines to get. Dont worry! I dont intend this thread to start a dreaded CMC-vs-Wilson-vs-Tripp sort of discussion. :roflol:

But what I am seeking is advice on what considerations I need to know before selecting the magazines.

Heres my thoughts so far.. CMC 8 rnd with the cheapy nylon base plate. However if I add a mag well (which I plan to do at some point) I will need the extended base plates right? Do all mags accept the ext base plate?

I dont want to buy $150 worth of mags that arent long enough and cant be modified to work with a mag well.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions

JT

I think its going to depend on which magwell you eventually get. The CMC Powermag, CMC Shooting Star, standard Tripp Cobramag, Wilson 47D or ETM basepads are long enough for the S&A-style magwells or the Techwell SP. But if you go with a one of the deeper magwells like the Dawson ICE or Techwell XT you'll need longer basepads such as the Wilson 47DE to be able to seat them easily. But one thing about the 47DE's, you have to trim a little off the front corner of the basepad to fit into the USPSA SS box.

One of the things I liked about the Wilson's, back in the dark ages when I owned 1911s, was that they made basepads for the mags in three thicknesses -- so if a change was needed you could purchase replacement pads in a different thickness....

I have a Dan Wesson SS. I started out with Wilson, but found it was really hard to seat a full magazine with a round in the chamber. I really had to slam it in while trying to navigate a stage. I switched to CMC after someone here suggested them since the base pad is slightly more recessed internally. There's more room for the spring, and more give with one in the chamber. Reloads are much smoother!! I also have a S&A magwell, and there is plenty of basepad for it.

I have been pretty happy with my Tripp mags. You can get the 8-rounders to seat with a larger magwell, but you do have to ram it in. With the S&A magwell, anything fits. I have also had great success with Tripp's service...top notch!

I run the Tripps with the DP Ice Magwell, they are good as long as you are not cupping your hand when inserting the magazine. nothing worse than firing a round and then seeing your fresh magazine fall out the bottom because you didn't hear that "click".

I run 47d's with the Dawson Basepad and Dawson Magwell. Using this combo you don't have to worry about trimming to "fit the box". They work just great I am very happy with this set up and haven't blown a reload in a long time. It took one dry-fire session to get familiar to the magwell/basepad combo and after that everything came together. Because of the angle of the basepad you do have to put more pressure toward the back of the basepad. I shoot on gravel with a lot of sand and the mags keep running. I only take them apart to clean them once a month before a match and shoot live fire at least once a week. When I do clean them I put some Remington dry lube on them and that seems to help. Another downside is the cost, I put in a want add on a forum and saved a bunch of money as a guy sold his pistol and had the Magwell and Basepads (new) just sitting around. You might want to try a want ad?

I have a Dan Wesson SS. I started out with Wilson, but found it was really hard to seat a full magazine with a round in the chamber. I really had to slam it in while trying to navigate a stage. I switched to CMC after someone here suggested them since the base pad is slightly more recessed internally. There's more room for the spring, and more give with one in the chamber. Reloads are much smoother!! I also have a S&A magwell, and there is plenty of basepad for it.

Crap, I meant Tripp for my Dan Wesson. I had CMC on my Springfield. :rolleyes:

THanks all!!!

I picked up a set of the CMC power mags. While I was at Dawson Precision I got the ext base pads as well.

Along with installing the ICE magwell, we realized that the "short" version base pads were not quite long enough with the magwell.

Gotta exchange for the "longer" versions.. Oh well...

Thanks again!

JT