Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disturbing Chrono Results

Sent it in and they replaced the front sensor. Have had reasonable results since. Went to the range yesterday. :angry2: Windy, I got 5 readings and 12 Err 2 before giving up.

Might have been the wind.

If things were blowing past the sensor, that

could confuse the poor machine - especially

if you've had "reasonable results since".

Possibly time to change the battery?

Good luck next time.

Jack

Sent it in and they replaced the front sensor. Have had reasonable results since. Went to the range yesterday. :angry2: Windy, I got 5 readings and 12 Err 2 before giving up.

Might have been the wind.

If things were blowing past the sensor, that

could confuse the poor machine - especially

if you've had "reasonable results since".

Possibly time to change the battery?

Good luck next time.

Jack

If the sky screens were moving around that is a very good reason for error readings. That is one of my prime problems, today is going to be breezy. Winds 25-35 with gusts to 50. Did you look in the manual to see what ERR 2 meant?

Yes on the err 2. It means the second or back sensor was not triggered. And sounds like I did not say it right. The last I was at the range was when I got bad readings. The reasonable readings occur after the sensor replaced (2 times) but before the strange readings. :mellow: I may not be able to use the chrony until spring. :blink:

Thread drift alert.

Shotslow, try 165gr projectiles, I use Sierra HPBT Gamekings and H414 in the 30-06.

Back on subject.

Plus if you are not sure if your chrono is OK, borrow someones that is working. ALso I have solved all my issus with reasonable to cheap priced Chrono. BUY AN OEHLER.

I had one years ago (borrowed, as I did not have the money) the guy who owend it moved overseas (no guns allowed) and when he came back I wanted to buy, he wisely, for him, declined my kind offer. Finally bought one aearlier this year. OUTSTANDING.

I have tested a number of otehr chronographs and they are just not as good. Way cheaper yes, but not as good. Never failed me yet. I have tested 17HMR through 50BMG, I also tested the old chrono by straping it inside the Oehler. The Oehler would read and the others do not or give vastly different readings. If the chrono goes to the range the 22lr rifle goes with it.

• 4 months later...

Went out the range today to do some quick chrono checking on some loads and got some very odd/weird/disturbing results. Thought I'd run it by the consensus here...

.45ACP

4.8 gr N320

200 gr Rainiers

1.260" OAL

WLP primers

The starting load from VihtaVouri is 4.7gr and should yield 888FPS, give or take, which is perfect for me, should give me a nice cushion of PF.....but....10 shot average was around 713fps!! :surprise:

It was cloudy out today and I tried chronoing repeatedly with and without the skyscreens on my Gamma shooting Chrony. Very similar results with either. Yes, I was 10-12 feet away. Yes it had a BRAND NEW battery.

Other than my chrono just being completely wacky, I cant think of what could cause this issue?!?! :unsure: I did not have any other ammo with me to chrono to double check anything, but will try to do that Monday after work.

Any suggestions!?!?!?!? :mellow:

I found out I was shooting minor with a 45 for a few years when I got a Chrono. You can't trust the published figures until you fire them in your gun.

pat