Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Auto-Disk Pro help

I have a new Pro Auto-Disk from Lee giving me fits. I installed the adjustable charge bar as I will be testing several loads so I figured it would be easier to adjust that than to deal with swapping disks. Anyways the issue is that I am getting powder from the resivoir to the charge bar, but then it isn't dumping into the case very much so after a few pulls on the handle I am backed up. Here is what I am dealing with:

1f025c0f.jpg

I'm not sure what .37cc translates to in grains and I know that it is supposed to be usable from .28 to 1.6cc, but I never had any luck with it with small quantities like 9mm pistol loads.

That said, be sure you have the hopper on right ways around so that the hole in the hopper is directly over the charge bar opening when it cycles.

Also, make sure that the hopper is snugged down so that there is not a gap between it and the charging bar.

And if all else fails, email or call Lee.

Ugh, the adjustable charge bar never worked for me with 9mm sized charges. If you empty the powder out of everything and look down the hopper with the adjustable charge bar below it, at least for me, it didn't center very well with small powder charges. I saw on a forum somewhere a guy who used some plastic or coated cardboard and built up one side of the inside of the charge bar to help center everything. I tried it and it worked a little better but it was more work than it was worth. Back to the disks and I am back to super reliable powder throws.

Here's a tip I got from Lee tech support -

Get a second set of disks and take a disk that has a opening slightly larger than you need. Carefully drill a hole in the side into that opening and then thread a fine screw (or tap it and use a fine thread bolt) into the hole. By screwing that in or out, you can make minor adjustments in the amount of powder it will dispense.

throw that thing in the garbage. I got so varied charges and sometimes no charge with it.You'll be upset when you get a squib.

I just learn to use the disk and to buy a powder that throw what the disk list.

I can tell by were you have the measure adjusted that it will not work well with anything but a VERY WELL flowing powder (think AA#7). If you have it about 1/2 way open it works OK. I don't like the thing myself as I just don't trust it.

• 2 weeks later...

Some day, when I have some money, I am sending one of my Pro Auto-Disks and the ACB to Lee and asking them to install it and verify that it works.

At least your pile of powder is over the cavity. I have my ACB properly installed, but I get no powder entering the cavity until I open the charge bar all the way (and even then it only half fills).

I have photographed it and the powder pill is always just to the rear of the cavity. I have marked it and on three different Pro Auto-disks and two different ACBs, the powder charge cavity is way ahead of the powder measure dispensing hole. There is no way to mount the ACB further back.

I "envy" those who can some how get the ACB to work.

I don't know if it's still this way but on my Lee Pro Auto-Disk, the hole in the hopper is not centered. You can install the hopper facing in either direction and there is a "right" and a "wrong" way to do it. When it is on wrong, it will still work but the power flow will be hindered.

• 2 months later...

I have a new Pro Auto-Disk from Lee giving me fits. I installed the adjustable charge bar as I will be testing several loads so I figured it would be easier to adjust that than to deal with swapping disks. Anyways the issue is that I am getting powder from the resivoir to the charge bar, but then it isn't dumping into the case very much so after a few pulls on the handle I am backed up. Here is what I am dealing with:

I have read the adjustable charge bar has problems with small charges ?

I am using mine on my Lee cast iron turret preaa with WC846 surplus powder & .223 . Close to a max setting , but it is working very consistantly .

God bless

Wyr