Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flexible Charges

sfchorn

Back in April, a new trash collection service began operating in my neighborhood that charges 25% of what the existing company charges (no, that isn't a typo, it's a savings of 75%!) Since my quarterly contract with my existing provider was due to expire on 5/1 (it is paid in advance), I set up service with the new company and cancelled my service with the old company effective 5/1 (since it was paid up to that date).

I just received a bill of $7.84 from my old provider, with the period of service beginning 5/1. I called and asked what the charge was for, since I have no service with them beginning 5/1. You're NOT going to believe their answer:

"Our bill for the previous service period went out without reflecting a rate increase. We are back billing you for the previous period."

What?! You've GOT to be kidding me. Here's the crappy part. If I don't pay it, they will send it in for third party collections and it will hit my credit report. My other option is to hire a Lawyer and spend the next year fighting it out in court to save $7.84.

Yesterday I got a "customer service" call from my old provider. "We've noticed that you cancelled your service with us. Can we ask why? Is there something about our service you didn't like?"

:devil:

I hate that kind of nonsense too!! They feel that they can just throw you around because they know you won't do anything for 7 bucks. I've always told myself when I'm old and retired, I'll have the time to fight stuff like that to the DEATH and teach them a lesson.

In your case, I'd get a letter from them in writing saying that the $7.84 is all that is required to close your account PERIOD and that you're not paying them until you get it in writing because of their "fishy" billing practicies. Once you receive the letter, I'd send them a certified letter back stating that you have enclosed a money order for the $7.84 and for them to consider your account CLOSED per their letter (attached). Then, keep the letter they sent you FOREVER as proof that the account is considered closed. If they demand payment before that process can take place, send your letter anyway (notarized) stating that they should consider your account closed and if they ding your credit you will sue them for all they're worth.

What a mess for such a small amount of money. Depending on their credability, you might be glad you followed that process.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer but have received advice like this from lawyers and had to go through the process with a web hosting company way back when.

Pay them $7.87.

That gives you a 3 cent credit and will cost them far more to keep track of it than it's worth.

Then wait three months and start sending them dunning notices for the $0.03 they owe you. Plus interest.

Pay them $7.87.

That gives you a 3 cent credit and will cost them far more to keep track of it than it's worth.

Then wait three months and start sending them dunning notices for the $0.03 they owe you. Plus interest.

Yeah!!!!

You wont get dinged in your credit report for $7. What usually happens is that they hire a credit collection agency who pays their guys $20 per hour to call people. The credit collection agency probably has flat contract with them, and it is cheaper for them to just send them $7 and not pay they guy that makes phones calls to waste his time.