Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clark Drop in 45acp comp barrel

aussieboy

Clark barrels don't have a good reputation for quality...that's all I can say.

According to whom?

We sell several hundred of these a year. Satisfaction guaranteed. Not to mention if it doesn't fit your slide, we'll fit it at no charge.

Renee Tyson

Clark Custom Guns, Inc.

This is going back to the late 80's when the only players were Wilson, Barsto and Clark.

Wilson was always sold out, Barto charged a flat $250 for a 6 inch barrel, but Clarks were easy to get. many who needed barrels and could not wait went with Clarks and had lugs shearing off, rifling going bad, etc.

I'm talking 6 inch super barrels here. I must say the one .45 barrel I did use years ago worked fine. Perhaps quality is better these days, but many of us are recalling watching a shooters gun lock up in the middle of a stage because the lugs sheared off....

Jim Clark Jr responding using my user name...

It's amazing how a story can get out of hand and spread falsehoods.

To set the record straight... when we were pioneering the current ramped barrels, here's what happened.

In 1979, we fabricated an add on ramp to a 38 Super barrel. 20 total were manufactured. While holding up on 38 Special conversions (since 1958), the add on ramps failed to stay attached on major 38 Supers.

Since 1979, all of our 38 Super barrels have integral ramps and none to our knowledge have sheared the lug.

The reason that you are thinking this is likely due to an article that American Handgunner published about our ramps coming off. Which they retracted at a later date after learning the facts. Not to mention that some other afore mentioned companies have had their barrels machined the same place as us and purchased their forgings from us during the period you mentioned.

Jim Clark Jr

Clark Custom Guns, Inc.

I was told by a reputable gunsmith (if you do a search you'll know who I use) that Clark's barrels are a bit on the soft side.  Sorry Renee

Unfortunately, a misinformed reputable gunsmith.

We just tested 2 of our barrels. One SS one BLUE. Results 40 RC and 41 RC respectively. Jim Clark Jr said please feel free to call if this thread has generated any questions in your mind that he may be able to answer. 318-949-9884 We're here M-F 7 - 4 CST

Renee

The clark barrel's,as most barrel's today, shoot better than the shooters can. I have used them & their qualty is outstanding. The bore finish is a mirror finish & better than most. Anyone who say's their current barrel's are questional. has not tried one.

Aussie boy,

To get this thread back on track, I have the clark comp bbl on a single stack 1911 that I used for pins and the action stage of the sportsman team challenge. There was a little fitting of the lugs (minor stoning) and the bbl fitted up quite nice and tight. It shot in the 1- 1 1/2 range with 200 gr lead swc at 25 yds without trying to work up a load. While the comp works good, without the high pressure of a super 9, there isn't enough gas to make it shoot flat, but it shoots much flatter than without the comp.

Mike

I've got both .45 ACP and a .460 Rowland Clark comped barrels. They dropped in without a problem, shot great, and have not given me any problems. They're good enough that I have standing offers for each from shooters at my club, should I ever be crazy enough to let them out of my safe unchaperoned.

If you search long enough, you'll find someone whose broken any barrel you care to name. That doesn't mean that barrel or brand is bad.

If you're looking to whack pins, the Clark comped barrel will serve you well. If you're looking for 5-pin or 9-pin loads, we can help.

:rolleyes: Thanks for all the replies! I will try one in the near future.

To Patrick Sweeney: I have used in the past 7gr AA 5 with a 230gr Zero JHP.

I am open to any suggestions on loads for 5 pin shooting. We have steel tables and are currently shooting 2 high pins and 3 low pins.

- -

---

Thanks again to all.

The classic pin load is/was 6.3 grains of WW-231 and a Speer 200 gr jhp. The old flying shotglass. They don't make it any more, but the Gold Dot replacement should work as well. I loaded as high as 6.5 at times for better pin action, and to feed the comp.

I found slower powders unacceptably noisy. I was shooting a load of #5 or #7 at one Second Chance, on the three man between Bruce MacArthur and Bob Rosenberger. They were both shooting shotguns (and both bigger than I am, at 6'4" and 205) and between runs Rosie turned to me and said "Damn, that thing is loud." He's shooting a 12 ga with buckshot, and he's complaining that my gun is loud.

I went back to WW-231 for the next year.

Also, contrary to IPSC, pin shooters tended to stick with standard weight recoil springs, not lighter. Then again, we were usually shooting 195-215PF loads.

Good pin shooting. (The Clark barrel will make a difference in your times.)

Also, contrary to IPSC, pin shooters tended to stick with standard weight recoil springs, not lighter. Then again, we were usually shooting 195-215PF loads.

I can reccomend an 18 1/2 lb. spring as pretty safe bet for pin loads.

Use a shock buff of some kind as well , if your gun will run with it.

Watch it for deterioration, if it's not lasting very long, try a heavier spring.

I want a Clark 460 Rowland drop in real soon... :wub:

Travis F.

• 2 weeks later...

:wacko: I received the Clark 45 comp kit, but discovered I needed a 2 piece guide rod to be able to get the firearm back together. The guide rod, spring, and plug have to be installed in the slide before the slide is attached to the frame. :unsure:

B) The Kimber with oringinal barrel runs good with an 18 1/2 Wolf variable spring

and Wilson shock buff. I'll try this setup first with the comp kit. :o

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Clark 6" 10mm ramped barrel with a 5 port comp and it functions 100%. Never a problem and shoots better then I ever will be able too.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Clark 6in. bbl in my SC pingun, god knows how many rounds through it! Still tight and works fine! My fave load is a 230-235 swc with 5gr of Titegroup/WSL. Soft load and takes the pins with a 14lb spring. Enjoy! DougC

• 4 weeks later...

ive got a clark barrel and comp combo and it shoots great, its had about 7000 rnds through it now and it and still no problems. I use 200gr swc with 5.5 gr of win 231 powder and am getting about 930 fps. And the muzzleclimb amd recoil of the pistol is real managable too.