Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

n320 and 200gr bullet?

cz75ipsc

Browsing here on the reloading forums I found very different opinions about whether to use fast (n320) or slow (n350) powders for heavy bullets (heavy for the said caliber of course). Also the reasons seemed to vary; some claim that faster burning powders are dangerous because the pressure can go up, and some say that because you use more of the slower powder, the possibility of pressure-related problems increases. Some say the other feels flatter than the other (this is of course a preference thing)

My question is, is it dangerous to load n320 with 200gr bullets? My logic says that because there is less powder in the cartridge, it is not likely that the powder gets "crammed" or whatever you call it, causing the pressure to rise. Isn't "cramming" the reason why the pressure can go up? Or am I missing something here? :wacko:

Those who shoot 200gr bullets, which powder do you use (and how much, just to give a ballpark), and have you tried a faster/slower powder? Oh yeah, I'm shooting IPSC, so the PF I'm aiming at is ~175

I presume that we are refering to .40, if so N320 is pushing the envelope with 180g bullets. Moving up to 200, I'd goto N330. I ran N330 in 180g with only average results. Changing to N320 gave me much more consistant ignition. A heavier bullet with N330 should be a winner. I have a friend who is using N340 and 200g bullets with great success. He won a ton of the powder and tuned the load for it.

Guest bulm5

No problems with V V 320 with 200 gr. this is what I am shooting right now for my BUL m5. Assuming that your barrel is reamed to accept long loaded rounds, you should not have any problems. Now if you are loading short , that is a different story. Used to use 330s in my load and the difference between 320s and 330 is night and day. 320 is much softer. I am using Precision moly coated bullets. Hope this quells the urban legend.

I use a 200gn. Star / 4.6 N320 / 1.2 OAL / 170PF

Im pretty sure Blake Miguez and Phil Straider use 200gn bullets. It doesn't look to be slowing them down. TJ used to use 220gn. Im not sure what he uses now but I think it's a 180. I think it's all what you like better. To me the 200gn. bullet shoots flatter.

Jim

As caspian28r noted, I shoot shorter rounds than you 1911-guys do (look at my nick ;) ), around 1.15 OAL (or 29mm). Would you see a problem if the round is 0.05-0.06 shorter? More 200gr load data would be appreciated =D

Doesn't TGO use heavy bullets? I got the impression that he uses 200gr

I shoot 200g LTC and 200g Montana Golds. This week I made up a batch using the LTC, 3.8g Bullseye ( Max. is 4.6 from Allaints site for FMJ) and loaded mid length and made a 168 PF easily. No pressure signs that I can see and shoots really nice, Also using the same combination and 3.9 Titegroup makes major for me. I just shot a match with Blakes dad and they both use 200g bullets and it works fine for them.

Strader does use 200 grn bullets - the WestCoast TMJ rounded flat point - but he uses N330 loaded long for a custom STI Edge. As for short (1.150") .40 w/ 200s & 320: I have been there, done that, & really, really did not like the excessive pressure signs that showed up even with small rifle primers. If you have it, take a look at the Speer reloading manual intro to reloading .40; not very encouraging as to 200s in general & 320 would seem to be asking for trouble without significant benefit.

Strader does use 200 grn bullets - the WestCoast TMJ rounded flat point - but he uses N330 loaded long for a custom STI Edge. As for short (1.150") .40 w/ 200s & 320: I have been there, done that, & really, really did not like the excessive pressure signs that showed up even with small rifle primers. If you have it, take a look at the Speer reloading manual intro to reloading .40; not very encouraging as to 200s in general & 320 would seem to be asking for trouble without significant benefit.

Why is it asking for trouble? I've shot 100K + of that particular combo with no pressure, no problems, ever. Maybe in theory, but definitetly not in the real world, I now at least 20 people who have shot that combo for at least 3 years or more, probably more than 1,000,000 rounds and I've never heard of problems with it from them. Maybe you were loading it shorter or crimping it wierd, but I've NEVER had pressure problems.

I wrote: "As for short (1.150") .40 w/ 200s & 320: I have been there, done that, & really, really did not like the excessive pressure signs that showed up even with small rifle primers. If you have it, take a look at the Speer reloading manual intro to reloading .40; not very encouraging as to 200s in general & 320 would seem to be asking for trouble without significant benefit. "

You loading N320 at 1.150" or less? Either you misunderstood my post or you are getting very different results than me. Put another way: N320 exceeding major loaded SHORT (standard V V length is 1.126") is NOT a good idea. I know because I have tried it.

If you decide to use N320 w/ 180s or 200s, DO load LONG. What is long? 1.20 or more. I shoot 180s & 200s at that length w/ N320. I have never had a problem. That's my choice but you will have to decide for yourself. IMHO, shorter lengths w/ N320 are a bad idea.

What does VV say? The fastest powder listed for 200s (AND for 180s for that matter) is N340. See: 2/2002 Reloading Guide referencing: VihtaVouri Reloading Manual, 3rd Edition. Use something faster & you are on your own. I have merely claimed I disregard the manual, load with N320 & have never had a problem loading long. I did not claim any N320 load is safe. You decide.

While doing my experiments with N320 and 200gr (lead) at 1.200" OAL, I didn't see any pressure signs either.

[drifting]

My mags, however, didn't like the load. Recoil was indeed softer than the 180's, slide was sluggish (good for my vision) BUT (probably due to the lead) the gun was torquing more to one side (a timing issue I could not get over due to the limited rounds I had loaded). YMMV though.

I have a few rounds of 200gr loaded again. This time at a shorter OAL of 1.160". I'm kinda hoping my mags will like this length this time.

[/drifting]

• 6 months later...

Guess I can add my 02c of experience.

I have loaded kilos of .40" SW @ 1.180" O.A.L. with 200grs (both lead and plated) for a 175/180 P.F. with N320 and had very satisfying results in my SVI Competition. No overpressure signs, low SD (in the 10fps neighborhood), good accuracy @ 20m (at least for my standards).

For the records, I now switched to 180grs because I like my gun snappier and faster-cycling. Same O.A.L., same powder, same bullet profile (FP-BB).

ok here is my .02

200gr and n320 is a really sweet combination if your gun is tuned for it.

i load 4.0 320 to a aol of 1.2. I also have a sprico in my edge with a 10lb spring.

with this combo its really flat and solft.