Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

split barrel

So, I send my old Gold Team 45 in for repair, after a bazilian rounds the recoil lug on the barrel is broken. The nice people at EAA fix it up by replacing the upper, new slide marked .22 and barrel, also I apparently paid for new grips, as mine were cracked, although I did not request the replacement. The slide came with a used super sight on it that they must have used for sight in purposes. Fast forward to yesterday and I decide to shoot a few before I install the optic. First round seems light, and it doesn't eject the empty, I clear it and look down the barrel and it is clear, but the slide doesn't feel right, on closer examination I see the barrel is split. Amazed, I examine it closer, and it is split top and bottom, wow, first round. Is this approaching the old addage, buy an nice italian gun fired once dropped once?

Well, I'll call the good people at EAA tomorrow and see what they say. If it doesn't come out positive, is there another source for a barrel?

Thanks for the response, but I called EAA and am returning the barrel and slide. Upon closer inspection, there appears a slight bulge, I am worried that there was an obstruction, but I am sure that I looked down the barrel when the pistol was returned and when I lubed it before loading. This was the first shot, and I am just going over the possibilities. 45 is not an excessivly high pressure round and it is hard to guess this one out, a friend suggested that I send the barrel to a metallurgy shop and have it analyzed, as there have been experiences of metal failure from different parts from the same billet. I don't pretend to understand the nuances of the metallurgy involved, but have read a report of a failed M14 barrel, that had fairly catastrophic results. Thanks again.

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the response, but I called EAA and am returning the barrel and slide. Upon closer inspection, there appears a slight bulge, I am worried that there was an obstruction, but I am sure that I looked down the barrel when the pistol was returned and when I lubed it before loading. This was the first shot, and I am just going over the possibilities. 45 is not an excessivly high pressure round and it is hard to guess this one out, a friend suggested that I send the barrel to a metallurgy shop and have it analyzed, as there have been experiences of metal failure from different parts from the same billet. I don't pretend to understand the nuances of the metallurgy involved, but have read a report of a failed M14 barrel, that had fairly catastrophic results. Thanks again.

Just an update, I got a call from EAA and as I figured, they said it was my fault. Must be a Polish gun, covered by "My Fault Insurance", so for another $185.00 they fit another 45 barrell in a 9mm slide and sent it back. Looked ok so I decided to take it out and shoot it, put the Cmore on and off I go. Now as an avowed reloader with 30+ years experience and 45 my signature round, I open a new box of Winchester 230 gr hardball and commence a firing. First round failure to eject, second round same, and so on. Good shooting buddy Bob, gives me some PMC 230gr hardball and I enjoy the same results. Favorite God son gives me some Blazer Lead safes or some such and I again enjoy the same results. Well isn't this special, not to say anything bad about our favorite customer service, I call EAA and ask what kind of ammo they used to test fire my pistol, and was informed that they use "off the shelf ammo", hmmm, they must have a different shelf in Florida, than I have here.

So, as any satisfied owner would do, I asked again and received the same answer, I informed them of the shelf discrepancies and was told to return the pistol and they would gladly look at it. Nice.

I foolishly decided to look at it myself and thougt that the slide seemed awful hard to rack, so I pulled the recoil spring and compared it to a 16# spring that I had, and it was at least 1/2" longer! Well I order some springs, 12,13,14# an commence a testing. I also took my gunsmithing Leatherman tool file and cut off a couple of rough spots on the slide and barrel. She's coming back and maybe some polishing on the feed ramp and reprofile the extractor and I might be back in business. The upshot of this story, is that I wish I had just welded my original barrel back up and kept on going. I wish Tangfoglio would work with EAA about this, it really isn't that hard to please people that are in love with a product.

• 2 months later...

Just wondering what you mean by "Polish gun".

Mike, in the '70s there were bumper stickers that said things like: "Mafia staff car, Keepa u hands off!", and the one I am referencing stated:" Polish staff car, covered by my fault insurance". I don't know if these were nationwide or just Detroit, but in Detroit, many people are very proud of being Pollacks. They are proud of their accomplishments and contributions to the growth of the auto industry and the country. In Hamtramyk, there is the Polish Yacht Club, wich enjoys a long and proud history, despite being no where near the water and having no boats. In downtown Detroit, a statue of Thaddeus Kosciusko(pronounced Koshoosko)is on prominent display. My online name Maxposner, is after my great Uncle Michael J Posner, who by the way is buried in Arlington, he was born Maximillian Posner in Prussia, his older sister, Sister Mary Algonquin, was born Anna Powloski in Poland/Prussia. My childrens maternal Grandmother was born Appolonia Padjaski, in New Britain, Conn. her sister was born in Poland. So in conclusion if I tell a Polish joke or use the term Pollack, it is with love and respect for my forbearers and my children, I hope this belated response was not too verbose,or condesending, and to anyone who is offended by the term Pollack, I apologize, but stop being such a Dupiach.