Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OK Done with Comps Now springs *smile*

ty34984

So I am done with the comps now how important are the springs? One gentleman I shoot with cuts springs checks pull on teh hammer and measures this twist that. I have just put in something and if the gun goes BANG Im good. If i were to out the effort into tuning the springs is it important or just as with the comp practice make perfect?

I would buy a 8,9,10 and a 11lb ISMI recoil springs and try them on the clock. See what works for you best. Thanks, Eric

Too many variables (ammo, pistol, etc.,) not to mention personal preference. If the pistol doesn't return to battery, the spring may be too light. If the slide is short stroking, then the spring may be too heavy. Other than that, springs are cheap. Buy several different weights and see which one you like.

I would buy a 8,9,10 and a 11lb ISMI recoil springs and try them on the clock. See what works for you best. Thanks, Eric

Buy several different weights and see which one you like.

Im sorry but thats what I dont understand. Define "LIKE" I guess I have alway shot and the gun went bang I was happy. I didnt win because of me not the gun,...BUT could it be the gun? Thats what im thinking.

Buy several different weights and see which one you like.

Im sorry but thats what I dont understand. Define "LIKE" I guess I have alway shot and the gun went bang I was happy. I didnt win because of me not the gun,...BUT could it be the gun? Thats what im thinking.

Some like tall/skinny while others like the opposite. I don't think anyone here can define what your 'like' is. In addition, what you like will most likely change as you shoot.

Buy several different weights and see which one you like and provides reliable function. If none of them feel better than the others, pick one that is reliable and don't worry about it. As you shoot and progress, you may develop certain preferences/likes or you may not. Try/reassess as you go.

Different weight springs will effect how your dot tracks. Try different springs until you find the one that brings the dot back on target with the least amount of movement.

For me, with too heavy of a spring the dot would go up a little, then go down a little, and then settle back on target. With too light a spring I would get the ocasional failure to feed. With the right spring my dot would track straight up and then right back on target.

It is definitly not snake oil, getting your gun tuned with the right springs will make a difference in your scores.

Hello: What open pistol are you shooting? I like a 9lb in my 2011 for reliable feeding and recoil feel. I would buy a 8,9,10 and a 11lb ISMI recoil springs and try them on the clock. See what works for you best. Thanks, Eric

+1 Eric, every gun and every shooter are just a little bit different and the only way to figure it out is TE aka Trial and Error. I run a 9 in one gun, and 10 in two, and an 11 in the other one.

For now I would suggest just swapping out the recoil spring for now to see what you like. You can try an 8, 9, and 10lb ISMI recoil spring and shoot some strings of fire. Make notes about dot movement, muzzle flip. once you find a spring weight you like you could then try a variable spring in that weight to see if you like the feel of the variable. Used to run a Wolff 12lb reg. recoil spring in my Limited gun, I like the feel of the Wolff 12lb variable thats in the new gun now. Got a 9lb ISMI reg. spring in the Open gun now, going to try an 8 and 9 lb variable to see which one I like better (the slide is lightened and weighs in at 10.8 oz bare).

Edited by SIG shooter

Hello: I use a 17lb ISMI mainspring in all my pistols. It goes bang everytime with them. I have tried a 15lb and had some light strikes on 4 different pistols. I have also tried a 19lb but just did not like the feel. Springs are cheap so just buy them :cheers: Thanks, Eric

So the mainspring has little effect on the recoil as the recoil spring. It would seem that way but the 19 mainspring it would make up for high primers and stop ammo malfunction and if it has little to do with recoil that would be a good trade off. Gun would always go bang and thats the name of the game, I guess you could make up for funny recoil better then a round not going off.

The best advice I could offer would be to get in contact with the gun builder if possible and ask him what springs and what weights he recommends for your set-up. To be truthful the right springs can help but it's not going to win the match for you. It's not going to make that large of a difference, but if you think it does it will help with your times. One less thing to worry about.