Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Mec-Gar 10mm Magazine Report

CHA-LEE

• 1 month later...

I just shot my first match with four new Tanfo .40 mags today.

These are the new .40 mags stamped K40. They have no indentations down the sides like the new 10mm mags do, but they do have a permanently fixed spacer at the back. The spacer tapers at the top of the mag to contact the rear wall of the mag. The spacer ramps forward, 0.37" below the feed lips to create an internal space of approximately 1.185" (in comparison the old mags 1.295") and remains constant for the remainder of the trip down the mag tube. The feed lips on the new mags come farther forward (slightly more than 0.2") than the old mags and the taper to single stack begins higher on the tube than the old mags.

I started to experiment with one of these mags recently due to all my old .40 and 10mm mags developing cracks. I hoped that there would be another way to keep my trusty Tanfo fed and happy. As it stands today, I could not be more pleased with the outcome... well ok, I could always ask for a bit more, but this is a heck of a start. Using Henning's base pads, both the older H140 and the newer H141 with the same ol Grams spring and follower I have been using (you do have to trim the length of the follower to fit in the tube) I am able to get 20+1 reloadable with no trouble. All four mags have run flawlessly since I began testing and through the match today. The rounds stack much nicer in these new mags with no nose-down or rattle at all. They are a bit tighter to get #20 in but not bad. Getting 21+1 will be a bit of a challenge but I wouldn't rule it out just yet.

Ok, so here is a small bit of bad news. If you want to use these mags and have been using Clays and loading long you will have to switch to another powder. I was not able to push any of the bullets I tested, 165, 180, and 200, anywhere near major (safely) with Clays at a COAL of 1.125". Right now I have several loads that make major using Tite Group and N320. I have settled on N320, at least for now, as it feels very similar to the old Clays load and seems to give better consistency in my guns.

If you are looking at the options out there; I would encourage you to have a look at these new mags. They look and feel great and so far seem to run smooth as silk.

Hope this helps. I'll keep you posted on how things develop.

James Casanova

TY-54966

Edited by Casman

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone tried the new K40 mags with WWB both with and without the Henning Pads?

Plus if I was to order Henning Tuned 140mm mags today for my Limited (.40 S&W) would I be getting the new Mec-Gar's or the old mags? And would they be K10's or K40's?

Sorry, I'm not sure what WWB is; so I'm guessing I have not tried it. As for what you get if you order a tuned 140 mag; it will be based on the new K40 body with the spacer. Unfortunately, it will be the end of August before any are available. New base pads are in process and more mag bodies are on their way.

James

By the way, I got the new Rear sight prototypes today from Henning. They are Killer! I can't wait to start playing with them.

Sorry, I'm not sure what WWB is; so I'm guessing I have not tried it. As for what you get if you order a tuned 140 mag; it will be based on the new K40 body with the spacer. Unfortunately, it will be the end of August before any are available. New base pads are in process and more mag bodies are on their way.

James

By the way, I got the new Rear sight prototypes today from Henning. They are Killer! I can't wait to start playing with them.

WWB = Winchester White Box, or Wal-Mart White Box depending on who you talk to. Mean the same thing really in the end.

• 1 month later...

So has anyone gotten a Mec-gar in .40 S&W and tested those out yet?

The more I read these kinds of things the more I regret my EAA Limited and I start wishing I had gone a different route. Glad I have not gotten mags, holster yet since its really starting to look like I should sell and get something else (which would suck since I only have 100rds thru my Limited)

Iggy, this thread is a little dated, but did/or are you thinking of selling your Limited. If so, I might be interested. I'm thinking of selling my Sig 226 X-5 Competition SA 9mm and Blade Tech Holster, and have been playing with the idea of getting a Tangfo Limited .40