Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SR-9 update

LarryD

I have a SR9 and I love it.

When it has brand new I was a bit shocked by the heavy trigger, but with polishing of the internals and some shooting, it's much better now.

I've read on the Rugerforum that it needs about 500 rounds to smooth things and that seems right and if yoy do some shooting before the polishing, it's easy to see whick parts/spots need some attention.

I don't really like the stock sights, but the Ameriglo's that I'm currently running are great.

BTW, Ruger strongly advises not to cut/trim the striker spring, but leaving it cocked for a few days also lightens your trigger pull.

Edited by pevadijk

Thanks for the info. Are the Ameriglo sights a front fiber optic only or do you have an aftermarket rear sight also. I'd like to switch the rear to something similar to a Dawson notched site or a warren tacical if one was available for the SR-9.

• 3 months later...

For some reason all the SR-9 Compacts I've handled have MUCH better triggers in them than the full size ones. Maybe some of those parts could be swapped, if you had one of each to play with?

Depends on which full-size SR9 you tried. While Ruger considers it a single generation, there have been 3 different triggers.

So the un-official gens are:

1st Gen - Original long hard trigger pull. Has a flat trigger and a round mag release. Serial numbers are 330.xxx

2nd Gen - Post recall trigger similar to a Glock "Safe Action" trigger. Still not a great trigger while stock. Also in the 330.xxx series.

3rd Gen - Best out of the box trigger. Feels like the SR9c trigger. Internally, the trigger control bar reset look very similar to the Ghost. Has a "D" shaped mag release, Glock style trigger, and starts in the 331.xxx series.

Galloway Precision makes some nice parts for it. I added the stainless guide rod, and will be testing a 20lb and 22lb recoil spring this week if time permits (stock is 18lb). The stainless striker indicator also helps smooth out the trigger by removing some of the grit caused by the original plastic indicator. Original guide rod is also plastic and lighter than Galloway's part. I find that the striker assembly requires regular maintenance. When it gets dirty or gunky, you can feel it right away.

Ran mine at the Indian Sectional, and didn't have a single issue. My wife ran her's as well, and the only issue she had was with a cartridge that was a little too long...hung-up in the magazine. Now she uses the case check gauge for all of it's functionality, as well as putting a caliper to any round that looks long. I did add the Ghost drop in part, but as stated, it looks almost exactly the same. I'm too heavy handed with a Dremel to do any polishing myself, but plan to have someone go through it in the winter.

There's a vid of me shooting it at a Steel Challenge. My YouTube channel is TopShotAcademy.

- chip

Why would you use a heavier recoil spring? Unless your shooting really HOT ammo.

I'd heard Glock guys doing this so that it shoots flatter...to reduce recoil...get back on sights faster...feels like it works for me.

Yes, I do sometimes load some fairly hot loads...considering building an SR9 into an open gun, so PF 165 ammo will be a requirement.

Please advise your experience.

Edited by Chip_E

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I looked at one pretty intently when I was buying a new gun (when I first started out just trying USPSA I used a P95 in Production as that's the only gun I had a holster and enough mags for), but ended up opting against it. I've always been a Ruger person and still might get an SR9 for non-competitive shooting, but I really wanted a longer barrel, and the thumb safety and mag disconnect are a hindrance in competition. I ended up going with an M&P 9L (which I've had several issues with - mostly resolved at this point, but issues nonetheless).

If Ruger would just come out with a long-slide version of the SR9 with at least a 4.75" barrel, and omit the thumb safety and mag disconnect, I'm sure they'd sell a decent number of them.

• 1 month later...

I looked at one pretty intently when I was buying a new gun (when I first started out just trying USPSA I used a P95 in Production as that's the only gun I had a holster and enough mags for), but ended up opting against it. I've always been a Ruger person and still might get an SR9 for non-competitive shooting, but I really wanted a longer barrel, and the thumb safety and mag disconnect are a hindrance in competition. I ended up going with an M&P 9L (which I've had several issues with - mostly resolved at this point, but issues nonetheless).

If Ruger would just come out with a long-slide version of the SR9 with at least a 4.75" barrel, and omit the thumb safety and mag disconnect, I'm sure they'd sell a decent number of them.

The thumb safety doesn't have to be engaged, per 8.1.2.1, it's a safe action pistol. A longer barrel would be nice, but my wife and I can shoot alphas with no problem...WHEN we do everything else properly. As for the mag disconnect...no comment.

Latest news in our camp...keeping the his & hers SR9s for production, but ordered matching Limcats for open. Yeah, a huge jump, but...the best is the least expensive in the long-run. This sport is a slippery slope. When we started (April 2011) I didn't even want to spend the $1K for the cheap 1911 wifEy wanted. But now that I know she's dedicated..and we're bot hooked...it's both feet in.

Edited by Chip_E

• 5 months later...

I'd suggest swapping out the mag release spring for something considerably lighter (unless the newer "gens" have fixed the problem of the unreasonably heavy mag release). A gunsmith friend of mine helped me out with that, he had a pile of small springs-- if memory serves, they were 1911 mag release (?) springs-- that we tried out and finally settled on one that made the release easy without it happening accidentally.

So, I am thinking about getting one of these for 3 gun. I use an SVI now in 40. I do have a Glock 17.....but I am sooooo use to the grip angle of the 1911, that is never going to work for me

I do like the feel of the SR9, trigger is ok out of the box, I can get to be better.

Magazine extension?.....any one have them yet?

Tim

So, I am thinking about getting one of these for 3 gun. I use an SVI now in 40. I do have a Glock 17.....but I am sooooo use to the grip angle of the 1911, that is never going to work for me

I do like the feel of the SR9, trigger is ok out of the box, I can get to be better.

Magazine extension?.....any one have them yet?

Tim

I originally picked up an SR9 for the wife because it's so slim and angled like a 1911. After shooting it, I had to have one too.

Talk to Eric at GallowayPrecision.com he has some nice trigger mods, a great magwell, and is working on a mag extension. I think I have everything he makes on my SR9. Well, haven't put on the magwell because the extensions aren't ready.

I have his optic mount as well, because I thought about building it into an open gun. Just bought a pair of Limcats instead. :-)