Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trimming 1911 Spur Hammer

Duane Thomas

A friend of mine recently purchased a Springfield Mil-Spec and the traditional spur grip safety/spur hammer combo is just eating his hand alive. Any reason not so simply solve the problem by trimming the hammer short? Any functional or other problems that might attend that?

You can trim it but understand that you are removing mass. Most factory pistols use an uneccesarily heavy main spring so you probably won't have any issues with light strikes. If you do then consider a heavier main spring.

One of the slickest 1911s I've ever seen had the hammer spur reduced, and the stock grip safety reprofiled to be bite proof. It was a work of art. I've always wanted to do one this way myself. I wish I'd have taken pictures of it when I could.

You can trim it but understand that you are removing mass. Most factory pistols use an uneccesarily heavy main spring so you probably won't have any issues with light strikes. If you do then consider a heavier main spring.

I have about 32k rounds through my Wilson 1911 with 17-pound mainspring (which is the same thing I've already installed in my friend's Springfield) without a single problem with light strikes, even on Wolf primers, and I doubt a trimmed spur hammer would be lighter than the almost completely hollow Comander-style hammer on my Wilson gun.

One of the slickest 1911s I've ever seen had the hammer spur reduced, and the stock grip safety reprofiled to be bite proof. It was a work of art. I've always wanted to do one this way myself. I wish I'd have taken pictures of it when I could.

Like this?

It was done by Ted Yost

post-370-012086100 1304205354_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brian Gonsalves

Like this?

It was done by Ted Yost

Very similar. The one I handled truly had the feel of a used bar of soap.