Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HELP ... SO many divisions ... so little skill ...

chaz_denver

I am a life-long shooter, but I just started shooting USPSA a month or so ago. So far, I have shot Limited Minor (G19 / G17), and Limited Major (G23 / G21). All are nearly bone stock. I am doing pretty well for a newbie, but there seems to be an awful lot of competition in the Limited division, and most of the shooters therein have much faster hardware and belt rigs than I do, or than I care to spend my hard-earned $$$ on anyway. I get mostly alphas, but I still seem to do better when I shoot the Glock 21. But at 13+1 cpacity I am changing mags so often that I might as well be shooting Lim-10 or Production. My belt and holster rig are well within the Production division guidelines. Should I consider shooting Production division, and if so, should I go 9mm, .40, or .45? Does it matter in Production?

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by chaz_denver

IMO 9mm production would be the way to go. To shoot limited you will be outgunned by pure equipment. If you want to use the .45 shoot limited 10. I like prod because you get more experience with reloads and handling the pistol.

You'll be more competitive in Production. I got into the sport in Production 5 years ago, went to other divisions, then for the past 6 months shot it again exclusively. It's a blast. Scored minor is a BIG reminder to get your A's. That training will carry over when you decide to shoot other divisions later.

If you shoot the G21 the best, then I'd take a good look at L-10. You wont be undergunned by the expensive Limited guns that are out there and magazine capacity will be a non issue (10 rounds in the mag for everyone). Plus you get the benefit of Major scoring.

If you decided you want to shoot production, then a 9mm is the way to go there. You are getting scored Minor no matter what you shoot, so you might as well pick something that doesnt beat you up as much.

I love my XD for production shooting. However i am and probably always will be a Limited Shooter, but i use mostly stuff that my dad has acquired over the year and very little new stuff.

If i had to buy all the stuff to shoot Limited including a Gun i wouldn't be able to do it and i would shoot my XD or a Glock as production

having spent my first few matches in production last year, i was considering more or less the same question at the start of this season, and have settled on L-10 for the time being. being in NY, i'm already capped at 10 rounds, and it lets me take advantage of scoring major.. i agree with the advice to stick with 9mm for production, might as well take advantage of the minor scoring.

i asked myself the question recently.

i've a pretty good limited gun (CZ tactical sport 40 S&W),but there's many more experienced shooters in limited , and i feel that i should keep shooting production until i see some improvement in all aspect of my game.

i don't feel that one can be out gunned by his equipement alone.....my draw and mag swap are as fast as those who are rigged with speed holster and mag belt .

the set-up i'm using isn't responsible for the delta's and the occasional mikes i get , i need to find more consistency in all aspect of my game ,even more if i ever elect to shoot major .

i defenitly want to see some improvements before making the step into limited .

production is where i belong for now, best place to keep learning for me.

i asked myself the question recently.

i've a pretty good limited gun (CZ tactical sport 40 S&W),but there's many more experienced shooters in limited , and i feel that i should keep shooting production until i see some improvement in all aspect of my game.

production is where i belong for now, best place to keep learning for me.

Squad with the better shooters in Limited and you will learn faster