Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sierra FMJBT 55's

35WLN

If I was spending free money (cert) I would be looking at a higher performing bullet. Either the 69 or 77 SMK.

I am sure there 55 FMJ's shoot great and I see no reason from a performance perspective to get them, but IMO bang for the buck would be much better on the more accurate bullets.

AFAIK, they are no better or worse than any good 55gr bullet. 55's are good for short range (maybe 150yd max) and for practice, but if you are going to be shooting matches with distances beyond that or where accuracy is fairly important, the 69 SMKs are a better overall choice.

• 3 weeks later...

I would have to disagree and say that they are DEFINITELY BETTER than 55gr FMJ's. No matter what distance you are shooting dont you want a bullet that is reliable and held to high tolerances over a bullet that is not. Maybe if you are just plinking at a tin can then it does not matter but if you are taking them to a match go with the better bullet. Just my 2 cents.

Just like the others said - if you're going Sierra get a heavier grain where their stuff really shines. 55gr is a dime a dozen with the blunter-nosed Winchester being the cheapest, but ugliest and the bulk Hornady 55gr FMJBTs on the higher end cost vs. quality wise (maybe 2-3 bucks more per hundred - even less with the larger packages).

I have used them, they work fine but their Matchking HPBT series is better. I like the 52gr a little better if you are looking for a "lighter" bullet. The 69gr works very well. I don't have experience with their heavier stuff. If you need/want 55gr their Blitzking works great also.

Personally, I would not use my cert on Sierra 55 FMJBTs. The 52s are a much better accuracy bullet, as are the 69s. For inside 100 yards or so, cheap 55 FMJs can be had for under $100/K all over the place. I know the "conventional" wisdom is heavier for "accuracy and wind bucking". However, test it out yourself. If you look closely at the ballistics data, you will find the scant benefit of 69s is negligible. I've gone to "accurate 52s or 55s" from 100 on out, use cheap 55s for in close and use 68/69s only for the longer targets where I want the ENERGY to make the target self-indicate (fall or flash). I shot a 5 shot 3" group with match quality 55s at 500 yards abut 10 days ago. Never got that with the 69s.

At 500 yards with a 15 mph crosswind, with my load, the 55 Blitzking moves 41", the 69 moves 37" and the 77 moves 35". All require hold-off or adjustment.

I'd look at these 3: 52 grain MK, 55 grain BlitzKing, 69 grain MK.