Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Things I've Learned Shooting Open Division for the Last Four Weeks

Mitch Harrington

I've really been itching to try Open. I shoot every other division, but have never tried this one. A friend has offered to let me use his .38Sup open gun but I have to admit, I'm a bit intimidated...

once you shoot a match with a dot sighted compensated Open gun its hard to go back to iron sights. Open is a "blast" :cheers:

Edited by SIG shooter

A few additional thoughts:

1. Your Open blaster has a few more critical parts than an iron sighted gun. Make sure you check it over carefully before each match.

2. The basics are at least as important in Open as in the iron sight divisions. Mag changes are still required on many stages. A good draw motion will help avoid the C-More suffle. Shooting on the move is no easier with a dot than without one.

3. Buying an open gun from a top tier gunsmith is an investment so don't worry quite so much about the first cost. My Brazos open guns have sold for as much as I paid for them several years and thousands of rounds later.

4. Happiness is an Open blaster that goes bang every time. There is nothing more frustrating than a gun built of a bunch of parts that doesn't work worth a spit even if it is a bit less expensive. The "bargain gun" you thought was a good idea will utlimately cost you the same as a high quality gun and then sell for only half of what you put into it at best.

5. Reliability is waaaay more imprtant than being able to shove an extra round into a magazine.

6. As others have said, Open is a hoot to shoot!

regarding Open vs. Limited classifiers, is 10% the magic number for how much faster you gotta shoot an Open classifier to get a comparable score running the same classifier in Limited?

Depends on the stage, I am sure, but quick look indicated that close to that number... maybe 8%.

regarding Open vs. Limited classifiers, is 10% the magic number for how much faster you gotta shoot an Open classifier to get a comparable score running the same classifier in Limited?

Depends on the stage, I am sure, but quick look indicated that close to that number... maybe 8%.

cool, guess that means that I gotta push the speed at least 8% faster when I start shooting Open again. been really stinking the joint up in the last few months with my classifier runs :(