Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

base pads

ErikW

I've had enough of my Glock 26 and its itty bitty magazines. I'm thinking of trying ESP and CDP with a P9 and a Witness. Must I use the stock, flush magazine floor plates, or may I use add-on bumpers or aluminum base pads?

Erik,

You may not use base plates that add weight.  Rubber bumper pads are o.k. on 1911 mags, I don't see why they wouldn't be o.k. for P9/Witness.  Gun, mag  inserted, in ready condition, (cocked and locked for SA guns) must fit in IDPA box to be legal.  I think that covers most considerations.....

I checked out the rulebook (web site). It doesn't specifically mention base pads or weighted pads, but it does say magazines must not weigh more than an ounce over factory weight. I'm sure my plastic and aluminum pads meet the weight limit but I'm not sure they are a legal modification. Does the list of inclusive modifications apply only to the gun  itself?

Yesterday this guy with a 1911 single stack had ten-round extended magazines. I assumed they were illegal, but the rulebook doesn't prohibit them. (They would have to be loaded with only 8 rounds in CDP).

Yeah the 10 rounders in a SS 45 are illegal because the gun won't fit in the box with the mag sticking that far out of the frame.  

You're okay with basepads as long as they're not heavy and the gun will still fit in the box.

(Edited by Bill Schwab at 7:07 am on Mar. 12, 2002)

It says gun including mag must fit in box. So I'll put the gun in first and put the mag in beside it in the empty space. It doesn't say gun with mag inserted must fit in box. :)

Just kidding guys. But for an organization that hates gamers, they should write their rules better.

Quote: from Erik Warren on 12:28 pm on Mar. 12, 2002

It says gun including mag must fit in box. So I'll put the gun in first and put the mag in beside it in the empty space. It doesn't say gun with mag inserted must fit in box.

Just kidding guys. But for an organization that hates gamers, they should write their rules better.

That's the rub isn't it.  You are trying to game something that doesn't need to be gamed.  You are trying to put an answer where a question didn't exist.

I have nothing against gaming.  Since gaming, in my mind at least, means that you are thinking about what you are doing.  Gaming isn't asking dumb questions or being a smart a** like "It doesn't say gun with mag inserted must fit in box. ", that's just wasting oxygen.

Rules shouldn't define our lives, so you shouldn't have a line and item rule book to answer every question.  Kinda takes the fun out of being alive.  

That's what I like about IDPA.  Here's the scenario, run with it.

Ymmv,

George Bagley

Austin, TX

(Edited by idpassr at 8:34 pm on Mar. 13, 2002)

On most questions of this ilk you need to ask yourself this question: Is this modification for competition only? Or would it have some benefit for self defense equipment? In this case it would be the latter.

Most of the gamers I have met shoot well enough to "ride the river with."

Keith

idpassr, if you like "here is the scenario run with it" you would like uspsa a lot better, the one thing i dislike about idpa is less thinking. in some of the large uspsa field courses i have seen even masters left perpondering the "best" way to shoot it... yet beginners just follow the guy in front (which is basically what all IDPA is) just some food for thought.

as for the mags, most clubs will allow a few matches with 10 round mags as IDPA really does try not ot make the shooters spend a fortune on gear.

if you have ever shot with top level shooters in the sport, they aren't so hung up on the rules. and every little detail. most are there to shoot and have fun... fun.. what a concept ;-)