Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LNL case feeder question

Can the case feeder for the LNL be shortened in heigth like some have did with the Dillon 650. The reason I ask is because Ihave 45" from top of bench to ceiling and I've read that the the height from top of bench to top of case feeder is 38". Also its said that you need 8"-12" clearance for plate/cases change. I don't have a LNL yet just getting my ducks in row, bench is completed.

Can the case feeder for the LNL be shortened in heigth like some have did with the Dillon 650. The reason I ask is because Ihave 45" from top of bench to ceiling and I've read that the the height from top of bench to top of case feeder is 38". Also its said that you need 8"-12" clearance for plate/cases change. I don't have a LNL yet just getting my ducks in row, bench is completed.

I don't see why you couldn't - it would be a matter of cutting the frame by x" and also cutting the cartridge feeder tubes (the clear plastic ones) by the same - from a mechanical point of view its no different , only thing is you would get less cases in the stack and therefore cycle time will be less than the longer version - not a big issue.

Tim

Was just curious, I could not think of a reason that you couldn't do it to one and not the other. I also thought I would get less cases, well come to think of it wouldn't the case amount be the same in that the feeder would be running more. Either way i know I want a case feeder just deciding on which press. Been reading on this site as well as others about the pro's and cons of Hornady and Dillon. Not to start another thread on which one but I diffently know I want a case feeder and everything to be quick change outs. Thats why I was asking about the LNL because if I figuring everything with the quick change outs the LNL will be considerably cheaper.

If you know you are getting a case feeder, then the Dillon may have the advantage. Where the Dillon loses is in terms of cost and speed of caliber conversions.

I have never used the Hornady case feeder, but it is exactly the same as the Dillon, except for the hardware that takes the case and feeds it into the shellplate.

My feeling is that the 650 is a known commodity in terms of the case feeder working, while the Hornady may need more adjustment since it wasn't originally designed for one.

Even then, I am still prejudiced in favor of the Hornady, and I never felt the NEED a case feeder.

The Dillon case feeder is much better built and about $100 less expensive to boot.

They do use the same motor with a different wiring scheme for two speeds (Dillon), and the plates are so close that you could call them the same (I still have two Hornady plates that I use flawlessly in my Dillon). But the housings are not even comparable between the two. The Hornady fails, and fails badly in quality of manufacturing.

I also agree with the previous posters, you shouldn't have any problems shortening the Hornady unit up some.

The Dillon case feeder is much better built and about $100 less expensive to boot.

They do use the same motor with a different wiring scheme for two speeds (Dillon), and the plates are so close that you could call them the same (I still have two Hornady plates that I use flawlessly in my Dillon). But the housings are not even comparable between the two. The Hornady fails, and fails badly in quality of manufacturing.

I also agree with the previous posters, you shouldn't have any problems shortening the Hornady unit up some.

Comparing the Dillon XL650 and LNL Case feeder, the plastic is blue on one black on the other and I use the Hornady Plates and Dillon plates interchangeably. Not sure what the low speed is good for on the Dillon it can't begin to keep up with my loading speed. Now when it comes to the whole Case feed system and how it interfaces to the press Dillon is much better. WIth the bullet feeder going even the high speed stay fairly busy.

The only thing I saw in the post is that you don't need a foot of space to change the plates, you probably need about 6" for tossing brass in.

I think the OP was asking on the LnL case feeder - not opinions on blue v.s red, both systems in the Lnl $$ range have their own quirks - I know I have a 650 and a LnL , the case feeder was a bit of a bear to set up on the Lnl - however the dillon wasn't perfect either , they both run great, both companys in my experience have great customer service - and the guys are absolutely right the shell plates are interchangeable.

I think the OP was asking on the LnL case feeder - not opinions on blue v.s red, both systems in the Lnl $$ range have their own quirks - I know I have a 650 and a LnL , the case feeder was a bit of a bear to set up on the Lnl - however the dillon wasn't perfect either , they both run great, both companys in my experience have great customer service - and the guys are absolutely right the shell plates are interchangeable.

You don't need a foot of space with either.

Glad to see you agree, the case feeders are comprable, just another color of plastic.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my LNL case feeder for a number of years now and I don't recall any problems with the initial set-up, other than my press is an older model that didn't come pre-drilled and I had to use the c-clamps that came with the assembly to attach it to the back of the press, but once tightened it has run fine. There is a learning curve on which insert to use for each caliber on the bottom part of the case feeder and then I have also had to play with using different sizes of the v-shaped "shoe" that pushes the brass into the shell plate. One pet peave is the amount of noise it makes if you leave the power button on continuously, so I elect to let it run long enough to fill the clear plastic feed tube and then I shut it off until I'm ready for more brass. Doing it this way allows me to spray the Hornady case lube onto the brass as the shell plate is "mixing" them up each time I refill the tube. Even though I have the carbide dies which they say doesn't require the case lube believe me it makes life much easier especially if you are running all nickel brass. RNB