Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pre travel / reset reduction legal for production?

RAZZ

I'm looking around in the rules, and I had a question I was hoping someone could help me with. I understand that internal modifications are allowed, including an internall overtravel stop, but wouldn't that change the appearance of the handgun when in battery? The trigger is in a different place, and therefore does not look like a factory gun. I'm still going through pages of search results, and may find the answer I'm looking for. If I do, I'll come back and have this locked.

Thanks

Edited by RAZZ

on a glock the gun with the overtravel stop and no overtravel stop look the same to me at least. The pretravel removed will move the trigger location and will require the trigger safety be trimmed which is why that is no go on the pretravel

I think I worded that wrong. What I meant was pre-travel, or travel reduction, or reset. For example, a company does a 'reset reduction package' for a Sig which reduces the distance that the trigger would travel forward in SA mode (after the slide is in battery) by 50%. Wouldn't it no longer have a stock appearance externally? I guess I'll have to read a little more. I'm not opposed to it, I just don't want to break the rules. But if the trigger does not go as far forward on a modified gun (because of the shortened reset, then it would not 'look' stock. Maybe I'm over-thinking it.

Here is the verbiage I am pondering...

Per existing NROI ruling, any “internal” modifications

which result in a visible change to the external

appearance of the gun when it is in battery REMAIN

PROHIBITED unless specifically allowed

by the plain language herein.

Edited by RAZZ

An overtravel adjustment that has the screw inside would be legal.

I can see that, as the gun, in battery, wouldn't look any different, but a gun modified to have a shorter trigger travel, pre-set or re set, would look different when in battery.

The trigger's physical appearance is the same? Then I'd say it flies. The position may be a little more rearward, but only to a position that is part of its normal arc of travel.

What was the ultimate ruling on changing the Glock trigger's pivot point? Wasn't it that you could see that the pivot was different because the end of the moved pin was visible, otherwise it was OK if not visible to the naked eye?

Edited by kevin c

The trigger's physical appearance is the same? Then I'd say it flies. The position may be a little more rearward, but only to a position that is part of its normal arc of travel.

What was the ultimate ruling on changing the Glock trigger's pivot point? Wasn't it that you could see that the pivot was different because the end of the moved pin was visible, otherwise it was OK if not visible to the naked eye?

That was how the ruling went on the original Vanek trigger for Production, and for the Langdon speed-bump trigger for the Beretta.....

GGI (Bruce Gray) did a reduced reset trigger job on my 226. The trigger position in the DA (or hammer down) position is no different. Yes, the trigger doesn't move as far forward in SA (hammer back) mode, but I've always taken "...visible change to the external appearance of the gun when it is in battery..." to mean in battery as the gun would be in the holster, not while shooting. Not sure if that's a correct interpretation, but that's the one I've always assumed.

Bruce has been involved in competitive shooting for a long time and he stays up on what he can and can't do to keep a gun legal for a Division.