Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whether you call it the Civil War, the War of Northern Aggression, the War Between the States, or the Late Unpleasantness, today is the 150th anniversary of the attack on Fort Sumter and the beginning of one of the most influential events in US history.

At the risk of violating board rules about political discussion, does anyone else look at the causes now with a wider view?

Much of what I learned in school about this period of your history seems frankly like revisionist pablum.

At the risk of violating board rules about political discussion, does anyone else look at the causes now with a wider view?

Much of what I learned in school about this period of your history seems frankly like revisionist pablum.

IBTL.

Depends on where, what level.

Definitely draws comments.

Economic factors, political factors -- nowhere near as simple as the cut-and-dried version I got.

Been watching the civil war series on PBS this past week. Way more to the civil war than we all think or were taught! Just such a sad sad time in our history. Brother against brother! Fight for a solid week and not move one inch on the battlefield yet kill thousands upon thousands on each side! Absolute insanity!:(

Money and representation. Other factors were not brought in until well after first shots fired. Won't learn that in public school now days.

In some classrooms that is what happens. Finding a high School text book that does it right is another matter. It is agreat subject for teaching critical thinking.

Even though history is history and truth is truth, sadly it depends on where you went to school as to the causes.

Historians say the truth has nothing to do with history. I have struggled with that notion throughout grad school.

In VA alot of the big battlefields have been preserved, and I horse ride many of them, Petersburg battlefield runs along side Ft Lee, One foggy morning I was trottting up a long straight away, past the still visable earthworks and trench lines at the same time FT Lee was rehearsing for some kind of ceromony, complete with bugles and cannon fire was a pretty a pretty cool morning.