Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Definition of "unserviceable"

bbbean

What constitutes unserviceable? I understand the obvious cases - i.e. if your frame cracks, ejector falls off, barrel splits or some such thing that requires more work than can be done on a range safe area table. But what about less severe malfunctions? What if your sights fall off, your extractor needs tuning, or your trigger channel gets gunked up enough to require a complete breakdown? These repairs could likely be done on a safe area, but could conceivably take enough time to delay a match or at least slow a squad compared to the time it would take to call the RM and confirm the suitability of a replacement gun.

To further complicate matters, how about a problem that isn't clearly gun or ammo? Assume a shooter is having misfeeds, but he has an identical backup gun, could he switch guns in hopes the ammo would run in the backup?

I would lump most any repairs as unserviceable. How are you going to judge the capabilities of the shooter to repair their equipment. If you tried to it could be viewed as not being interpreted fairly. Say Matt Cheely, or Bobby Keigans has a gun with a malfunction and are gun smiths able to build guns from the ground up. Say another shooter has the same problem but is lucky to be able to field strip his gun. The first 2 are going to be able to fix alot more than the one whos gun smithing knowledge is replacing grips. It would be unfair for him to say fix it and he has no clue how. It would also be unfair to say mr cheely or Keigans has to do a more detailed repair since they possess the knowledge.

I would say if the gun has problems and the shooter dosen't want to or have the ability to fix it and has a backup let them switch.

i had problems with light strikes and jams this past weekend and switched to my back up gun with no problems. :mellow:

(well switching was no problem, the ammo problems continued to plague me the rest of the day anyway)

i had problems with light strikes and jams this past weekend and switched to my back up gun with no problems. :mellow:

(well switching was no problem, the ammo problems continued to plague me the rest of the day anyway)

Interesting. I wish I'd thought of this after stage one where a misfire on the 2nd target and subsequent misfires on 5 of the 9 stages got into my head and threw me off enough to trash my scores (to be fair, my lousy technique and tortoise-like speed may have contributed to my poor performance as well). I had another 1911 in the bag, but didn't even think to switch guns til I woke up Sunday morning, when I had a Homer-esque "Doh!" moment. To make matters worse, my backup gun is one of Corey E's old guns, so it probably would have had some good mojo at BitB. I coulda been at the top of the middle of the pack instead of the bottom of the middle!

Edited by bbbean

Unserviceable is anything you or another party cannot fix. This is USPSA. If it breaks and you cannot fix it, there are probably several others in your squad who can or are at least knowledgeable enough to determine quickly if it is something best left to repairing someplace other than the range.

It is hard enough finding some of those springs if they let loose in the shop or at home, forget about finding it in outside at the range.

I shot a big match in OH a few years ago. Gun had two hammer falls right at the end of my 3rd stage. I ran back to the safe area, tore my 2011 down, pulled out my jig and stone, reassembled after trigger job and made it back to the next stage in time to shoot. It ran 100% the rest of the day.

I shot OH state last year with a brand new, un-broken in gun. That was me hammering on my 2011 mags to close up the feed lips, then I polished the chamfer on the slide's stripper rail. The gun ran 100% after that. I just didn't have time to fully test it before the match.

Unservicable to me means it went Ka-Boom.

Sounds like a pretty big range between Corey's light strikes and your Ka-Boom. Maybe Nik had the right answer, but that seems like it's just begging for an arb if someone has a problem the RM doesn't consider sufficient.

BB

Sounds like a pretty big range between Corey's light strikes and your Ka-Boom. Maybe Nik had the right answer, but that seems like it's just begging for an arb if someone has a problem the RM doesn't consider sufficient.

BB

Hopefully real RMs and CROs acting as RMs fully understand the philosophy behind the rule, i.e. no picking the gun for the stage, the way that a golfer would pick a club for a hole....

If it's broken, it's broken. I'll accept a lot to approve the first switch, wanting to switch back would get tighter scrutiny.....