Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier woes

tackdr1ver

I don't k.ow how I learned to do it but I have learned to instead of treating a classifier like just another stage I have made myself treat every stage like a classifier. I just always trick myself into thinking that "This is he most important stage of the day". Not sure it is healthy but I get a "Adrenaline High" every time the buzzer sounds. I just love shootng that much. I will be in trouble if that feeling ever goes away cause its the only way I know how to shoot even In practice.

Just shoot:

This is my objective for this upcoming Sunday's match. Now all I need to do is keep telling myself: "keep it simple, stupid"

That's funny...becuase a guy I shoot with always shoots classifiers pretty well but doesn't shoot other stages as good as his classification. I know I have told him almost the exact same thing.

He doesn't want to shoot a classifier fast because he didn't want to move up. I told him to just slow down and relax and shoot it like you see it. He does and he moved up a class in just over a month! :roflol: not that he really wanted to but he did and now if he'll just relax and do that on other stages he'll continue to improve.

Just relax and "keep it simple, stupid" is great because we all over think stages sometimes. :cheers:

Edited by Prov1x

My classifiers always lagged my finishes in matches. I've got good, efficient movement, but my shooting fundamentals, while adequate, aren't great. (At least, they certainly weren't fantastic. They've gotten better somewhat over time.)

I've gone up the classification ladder, but throughout I tend to place higher in my class than anyone seeing my classifier scores would expect. Never would sandbag (don't understand it either---seems stupid to me, as cheating is another way of saying "I'm not good enough to do it under the rules everyone else has to follow"), just most classifiers are variations on stand-and-shoot, and where I pick up higher hit factors was based on stages that had lots of movement---so I did well in larger matches, but not well on classifiers.

One thing to think about is this: what part of the classifiers aren't going well for you? Is it really that you are getting too stressed, and pushing too hard? Or is there something directly about your shooting fundamentals that is tripping you up, that is masked on longer stages?

What exactly is holding you back on classifiers?

Just something to think about.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot another D class score on "Close Quarter Standards" CM99-42 i think i don't know.. something about Strong and Weak hand makes me so nervous i bomb the stage.. I am gonna practice Strong/Weak hand drills out of "Refinement & Repetition by Steve Anderson" and try to get better. That is my lowest Classifier stage out of all of them. Was a 29.xxxx and this time i shot a 44.xxxx so at least i improved alittle.

I'm so depressed and frustrated with my last few classifier runs that I've pretty much given up already with trying to move up. Guess that 2.3% I need to reach A class will come sooner or later.

Edited by SIG shooter

I can relate to this, and the couple of things I've seen on this thread about dialing back the throttle is what I've resolved myself to for the next one.

This is the first season I've gone at this "seriously", and expect a lot. Here's the breakdown of the last classifier I shot.

C 101 0 25.07 4.0287 120.000 100.00%

C 113 20 27.93 3.3298 99.1824 82.65%

U 91 30 23.63 2.5815 76.8933 64.08%

There's me on the bottom. Overall, i had a pretty good day, despite the classifier stage.

Watching everyone else on the squad shoot & thinking about what I'd shot when the results came out, i took away this..

- Recognize my abilities & stay within them. I put a lot of pressure on myself thinking "it's a classifier, I've got to do well". I had the fastest time, but was well outside of my abilities at that pace. The 30 points of penalty prove that.

- The strong/weak hand strings, especially weak, demand slowing down, at least for me. It's a matter of mechanics & I've come to recognize it.

- Focus on the sights, for that shot, and nothing else. Like someone else said, "just shoot".

It most cases, classifiers are stand and shoot that require raw skill and precision that can rarely be overcome by strategy and athleticism such as a long field course. If you don't have the raw skill and precision then it really shows up on your classifies scores. The added pressure of it being a classifier and it really "counts" certainly doesn't help.