Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1974 Honda 550~Four – Old school Café Racer build

TDC57

Hey team,

I just thought I would share my latest project, I’ve got a 37 year old motorcycle that I picked up a few weeks ago (cheep!)

As is (not running) but it did run the last time the owner tried it, (17 years ago).. Or at least that’s what I told. Regardless, I’m going to perform a total restoration on it, Via “old school” Café racer. Basically since I’m an artist who paints WWII Nose Art, I’m pretty much designing the bike for that purpose. Yeah.. I know I’m a little different.

Please note I’m a visual kind of guy, so I’m basically walking you through the process / steps that I’m taking.

I hope you enjoy the project / pics.

Here what I get to work with..

IMG_9614.jpg

IMG_9615.jpg

IMG_9616.jpg

IMG_9619.jpg

IMG_9621.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let the teardown commence:

I started with the carbs, why, well because when I open up the master cylinder to look, I saw this! I don't even know what the hell this is?, a mixture of water, fluid, and IDK??

IMG_9631.jpg

So that’s why ;)

IMG_9624.jpg

IMG_9626.jpg

IMG_9628.jpg

Dam thou, this is ugly too.. lol.. oooo well anther fun project to keep me up a nights, well for a few months anyway..

IMG_9629.jpg

OK.. after an overnight bath in the cleaner (Simple Green) this is what I have now, a clean bank of carbs to start with..

IMG_9653.jpg

IMG_9652.jpg

IMG_9655.jpg

Here’s some more shoots;

IMG_9641.jpg

Yeah…. I polished, and polished and polished some more..

IMG_9659.jpg

Soo lets take a closer look at those forks shall we.

IMG_9714.jpg

Yeah… I’m going haft to rebuild both of these.. no worries thou, as long as I know now.

Time marches on and while I’m waiting for my seals I decided to do a little polishing.

IMG_9722.jpg

IMG_9710.jpg

IMG_9711.jpg

IMG_9708.jpg

After the seals arrived, I rebuild the front shocks and slapped everything back on the bike, just to see what it going to look like before the real progress commences.

IMG_9792.jpg

IMG_9791.jpg

IMG_9794.jpg

IMG_9802.jpg

Woow.. I haven’t even started anything on this side yet.. hahaha

IMG_9796.jpg

Well that’s enough “fluff” for now, its time to serious with it, it strip it down and actually start the project..

IMG_9806.jpg

IMG_9811.jpg

I’ll need to update this to electronic ignition

IMG_9813.jpg

If slim bikes are in, I’m screwed, this looks more like a hipo.. hahaa

IMG_9815.jpg

Here’s what my part bench is starting to look like

IMG_9850-1.jpg

Now its time to turn my attention to the rear wheel, it sure needs some help.

IMG_9854.jpg

IMG_9856.jpg

Here’s what it looks like after a few minuets

IMG_9858.jpg

Ooo yeah, I also removed the rear arm lets see where this goes, I’ve got an idea.. hahaa

IMG_9857.jpg

IMG_9871.jpg

IMG_9872.jpg

Now lets add tire and shook Ive been working on and see what we have, Actually we have the making / first look of the old school look Im go for.. Right on!.

IMG_9882.jpg

IMG_9878.jpg

IMG_9879.jpg

Well team thats all Ive got.. Im off to pull out the motor and polish the frame.. Ill post more pics once my alum tank and rear seat show up..

Thank you for your time everybody and have a great one

P.S.

Here’s the tank and seat I’m getting for it

aharperalloycombo6.jpg

Edited by TDC57

Awesome project. Where did you get the electronic ignition kit from. I read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" years ago and I've wanted an old Honda ever since. Maybe one of these days I'll have room in the garage for another project. :)

Hello: Very cool project. I am getting an old Honda CB-350 twin running. I am thinking of going a little Cafe on it as well. I have to rebuild the front brake caliper and master cylinder and the handle bar switches still. It will be the best running ugly CB-350 for a while. I hate doing paint and body work :devil: They race these old Honda since there are plenty of parts available since they made 600,000- 1,000,000 of these world wide :surprise: The 550 is a great bike as well but I like the looks of the CB-400 with a yellow gas tank :cheers: Thanks, Eric

If I remember correctly, the alternator on these was a bit peeked. Don't know if it was the voltage regulator or just a bad design on the alternator itself but it seemed to have a hard time keeping up with the headlight if you switched over to a halogen. I also remember that there was an old engineer from Japan that had been with Honda racing named Yoshimira. He came to the USA and was building amazing bikes using the 400 4 and the 550 like yours. After he got done with them they'd redline at about 14 or 16 thousand RPM and make crazy horsepower!! I bet there are still parts around if you feel like cracking the cases! Cool project!

This is crazy cool. Thanks for sharing the details so far!

Where is George?!?!?

I would absolutely love to do this. Maybe when I get more settled.

It's pretty obvious you have some mad skills. Only someone that is that good can make it look so easy!!!

Please keep the updates coming and the pictures flowin!!!