Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP-01 Thick AL grips... Production legal?

Jay870

Tried a set of these out on my Shadow and like them quite a bit, but want to hear some opinions before I get too enthralled with them. From most of my reading they seem to generally accepted as a Production legal part.

Edited by Jay870

I've found a lot of refernces of the thick AL grips being a factory option on the Shadow from CZ-UB. They are listed as an SP-01 accessory on CZ-UB's website, an apparently Tyc prefers and uses the thick AL grip and they are in fact installed on the Adam Tyc World Champion Edition of the Shadow from CZ-UB, so I feel prett confident that these are considered a factory profile.

I actually use a thin aluminum on my strong side and a thick aggressive checker on my weak side.

I've been avoiding the Al grips because I feel it makes the weak side of the gun too flat and I can't get enough grip. Maybe this will feel better.

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2009_Production_Rules_Revisions.pdf

21.5 Grips -

For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4. Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling.

Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.

Revolver grips may be replaced with OEM or aftermarket grips of any shape, profile and surface texture.

Special Notes/Clarifications: See 22.4, below, for specifics with regard to modifications on revolver grips.

22.4 (Specifically prohibited modifications)

Grips – any addition or removal of material which changes the factory profile or adds function such as beavertail or thumb rest.

I think all grips are presumed legal, unless they change the "factory profile" of the gun.

So bullseye grips with a palm rest are out. So are Hogue/Pachmayr finger grove style ones.

Illegal:

2435651b2f9fed6997cb19ef5d19b4a4.image.300x225.jpg

Legal:

pac-grip-panels-lge.jpg

edit:

The general guide from the rulebook:

post-18709-020214200 1301946621_thumb.jp

Also reinstated the claim Hogue finger grove grips were illegal after looking it up in the Jan/Feb 2010 Front Sight.

Edited by belus

VZ-G10 grips don't extend past the butt of the gun; thus, they should be legal (see Appendix D4-21.4) Plus, they have a similar profile to that of the stock plastic/coco-bolo grips. I'm sure they'd be ok.

Anyone know if the VZ G10 grips for the CZ's are legal?

http://www.uspsa.org...s_Revisions.pdf

21.5 Grips -

For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4. Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling.

Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.

Revolver grips may be replaced with OEM or aftermarket grips of any shape, profile and surface texture.

Special Notes/Clarifications: See 22.4, below, for specifics with regard to modifications on revolver grips.

22.4 (Specifically prohibited modifications)

Grips – any addition or removal of material which changes the factory profile or adds function such as beavertail or thumb rest.

I think all grips are presumed legal, unless they change the "factory profile" of the gun.

So bullseye grips with a palm rest are out. So are Pachmayr finger grove style ones.

Illegal:

2435651b2f9fed6997cb19ef5d19b4a4.image.300x225.jpg

Legal:

pac-grip-panels-lge.jpg

Actually the finger groove grips are legal. Some CZ's came with them from the factory at one time.

Actually the finger groove grips are legal. Some CZ's came with them from the factory at one time.

I've edited my post to prevent possible confusion, but I may restore it later.

I thought they were illegal after reading this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94602

Apparently this question was asked in the January/February 2010 Front Sight. I'll have to look it up when I get home tonight.

edit: John Amidon says they're illegal in Front Sight on page 4. I think we'd need to see evidence they were a factory option on a production legal gun to challenge that. (Would there also need to be 2000+ produced with Hogue grips?)

Edited by belus