Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ video

Kyle O

I think the biggest thing to take away from this, is that almost every negative outcome is the result of a cascade of events rather than any one single bad practice.

When a critical piece of gear breaks or we're tired or any of a number of other distractors start to play into our day we need to increase our efforts to avoid little mistakes multiplying into disaster.

I think the biggest thing to take away from this, is that almost every negative outcome is the result of a cascade of events rather than any one single bad practice.

When a critical piece of gear breaks or we're tired or any of a number of other distractors start to play into our day we need to increase our efforts to avoid little mistakes multiplying into disaster.

Dude..who are you channeling, or have you become a wise old Sage, Sensei or Dali?

Very well put and words I will try to remember next time I am on the verge of self induced

disaster!

KyleO BFD on the minor shotgun transition. It looked to me like an aggressive transition NOT a transgression

Jerry M said to me after I DQ'ed a Nationals that "this is racing and sometimes we crash."

Your DQ is easily fixed via equipment...most are not.

Best you to, now saddle up and ride!

Patrick

Dude..who are you channeling, or have you become a wise old Sage, Sensei or Dali?

Very well put and words I will try to remember next time I am on the verge of self induced

disaster!

Patrick

You know what they say about Wisdom.....Wisdom comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement...so it stands to reason with all my experience I should be wise :goof:

Thanks for posting this Kyle! and thanks for staying and helping and not causing a "scene" I have had to DQ people before and some do what you did and take it well some go to the other extreme. Most guys don't intend to break a DQ rule but it does happen. and it will happen to almost every one at least once. It happened to me. the RO was new and didn't make the call. So I did. DQ'd my self. It was an AD and I knew it. It happens. but now people learn from that!

Update.....dq at larue multigun today. :(

Cut loose on a popper with a slug, and I knew i'd screwed up before anyone even heard the sound. I looked at the ro, unloaded, and asked for some pasters, now I think you all would have been proud of my handling of the situation. The funny part was the ro seemed a little taken back by my well mannered response, like he was prepared for a fit of some sort. And I was having a faboulous match to boot......

Glad nobody caught me winging my ears up-range after blowing past a target.... :goof: Adrenaline and frustration sometimes combine to form an action we would not otherwise contemplate. If that action is not unsafe, I tend to drop my head and pretend I didn't see it. Judge not my friends....

If you don't wreck once in awhile you aren't racing.

JT

Heres my first DQ... Local match with 93 shooters... Took all day to get to the last stage and I was a third shooter to being on this last stage. Never grabbed the gun. It bounced clean out of the holster upon inspecting the holster it appears that I had NOT been fingering the release fully :blush: and then drawing. This eventually wore down the retention piece and that coupled with loosening the holster to have nearly no drag, add in running... you get a DQ!

Grrr well I guess I can post links yet?! lol Ummm Google it! "How NOT to end your day..." its the first link. Ill post it when Im allowed! ;-)

Pros:

I didnt have to paste much as this was the last stage!

My Kimber wasnt scratched a lick!

An excuse to buy a race holster!

Cons:

I felt Dirty! lol

The guy timing runs the show... I asked him earlier "I'd like to be an RO"

Dropping a loaded firearm is never a good thing.

Update.....dq at larue multigun today. :(

Cut loose on a popper with a slug, and I knew i'd screwed up before anyone even heard the sound. I looked at the ro, unloaded, and asked for some pasters, now I think you all would have been proud of my handling of the situation. The funny part was the ro seemed a little taken back by my well mannered response, like he was prepared for a fit of some sort. And I was having a faboulous match to boot......

I have to second this. When he sent that slug all of us behind him was like ohhh no that sucks. But the way Kyle handled it was true class. I heard several people comment on how he handled it!

I was there for the 1st one about 20 yards behind him running the pre stage table. Kyle stayed the rest of the day and taped, reset, video'd, etc. He can DQ at my match anytime, truely a great competitor and let me finish 1 place higher :)

• 6 months later...

Took a lot to post your DQ here for the entire Benoverse to watch and learn from it....give you credit for that Kyle. Not too many of us have the guts to show everyone when we mess up.

Agree with Cha-Lee. We as shooters should maintain control over ourselves even when we're reaching for the stars and trip over our shoelaces. Anger and a guy holding a firearm don't go well together....except on the two way range. :)

Cha-Lee! Lots of class for being a total honest sportsman and showing what sportsmanship is all about.

RO probably wouldn't have picked up on your weapon firing without you initiating and you could have continued but despite knowing it would cost you points you still showed what we're supposed to do and DQ'd yourself.

Shows a lot of character to stick around and help out when DQ'd.

I hope I will be as classy in my next match if I get DQ'd.