Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Model 1911

David.Hylton

On March 29, the model 1911 is one hundred years old. John Browning's design has gone through its ups and downs, but it keeps on. Thanks to Mr. Browning, arguably the best gun inventor of all time, for designing a great pistol.

I have great memories of the 1911A1 from early in my military career. Last time I qualified with one was in 1991 and I managed to shoot expert. A few months later we transitioned to the Beretta model 92.

The picture below is of my 1911, serial number 67,xxx made in 1913. I don't shoot it much, but I have started to shoot my STI Spartans in 9mm and .45 a lot more.

Happy birthday 1911!

post-14139-032784900 1301356825_thumb.jp

About 10 years ago I ran into a older gentleman who had a Colt .45 he wanted to sell, said he would take $500 for it. I met up with him and he shows up with a 1911 and a Ace conversion kit, first thing I noticed was it wasn't a A1. I look at the serial number and it was 492!!!! No prefix or anything. I let someone talk me out of it for considerable more than I paid for it but I really wish I had resisted the temptation and hung on to it.

So many variants. So many Manufacturers, who would have ever thought?

S_I, Para, Springfield, Smith, Caspian and so many others both here and abroad. Short barrels, long barrels, bushings, long and short dust covers, bull barrels, rock stock and super custom, wide body, single stack, everything from .22 to .50, Steel, aluminum, titanium, stainless. It would take a good sized museum to display one of every variant not even allowing for 'custom' guns.

Without a doubt this is the greatest pistol ever designed. To my mind, no other gun comes close. Where would we be today if not for this great gun?

Happy Birthday 1911!