Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SX2 --Barrel

minnesota1

I have a SX2 Practical for 3 gun shoots and side shoots. I have the Mark one but had installed the ghost rings. I feel a bead at the end, like the rem. comp master 1100, would be faster than the ghost ring setup for 95% of the shooting except for medium to long range slugs.

Does anyone know a way or someone who makes a barrel for the SX2 Practical that would have possibly a rib and a bead and would be 22" long? :) I would appreciate any input, i.e. someone who makes a barrel that would fit but would need to be cut, etc. The gun as it is has that cavalier setup so I would only have to pull the barrel off and put a new one on. I am just concerned about point of impact issues with changing the barrel and sight systems.

Thanks,

Bob

Minnesota1,

If you prefer a low type rib, like on a remmy, what I did was cut down a Browning Gold barrel and as long as its the same chamber size e.g 3" or 3 1/2" they will interchange between guns. The shortest factory Gold barrel you will get is 24" but you can naturally cut down any length, my Gold barrels were 28" and 30" before the angle grinder came out !

My 3 1/2 " barrels swop between my 3 1/2 chambered SX2 and Gold. They are made by the same company in the same factory.

I agree a rib and bead is fastest. Hope this helps !

Mike

PS I would test fire the new barrel before buying it in case your SX gun and gold barrel were made prior to Winchester / Browning made them identical.

The SX2 I shoot had the high vis front sight and flip up rear rifle sight. The high vis kept breaking so had a brass rod installed. Looks a lot like a bead. All you have to do is flip down the rifle sight if you don't want it. Came from Winchester like this so assume it is available from them.

Minnesota1,

If you prefer a low type rib, like on a remmy, what I did was cut down a Browning Gold barrel and as long as its the same chamber size e.g 3" or 3 1/2" they will interchange between guns. The shortest factory Gold barrel you will get is 24" but you can naturally cut down any length, my Gold barrels were 28" and 30" before the angle grinder came out !

My 3 1/2 " barrels swop between my 3 1/2 chambered SX2 and Gold. They are made by the same company in the same factory.

I agree a rib and bead is fastest. Hope this helps !

Mike

PS I would test fire the new barrel before buying it in case your SX gun and gold barrel were made prior to Winchester / Browning made them identical.

Mike,

Thanks for the input. Has anyone else had experience interchanging the gold's barrels with the SX2 barrels? It sounds logical and I will try it out.

Thanks,

Bob

AH6IP,

Jerry, have you tried out a Gold Barrels in an SX ? I have put through about 250 rounds and it seems fine. Any views ?

PS cool avtar with the AH6, I tried to find a pistol gripped Gold but the M3 was the closest I could get !

Mike-

Haven't really done any comparison, but they should(other than factory tolerances)be about the same. Depending on year model of course. They sell both gold and sx2 at that website I listed. Price is about the same. Of course, the way to go would be with a Gold fusion light countour barrel, helps keep the weight down. Matter of fact, building a fusion to 3 gun standards is actually lighter than a Benelli when all said and done.

BTW-I bet you could modify a M3 stock to fit a Gold-I just don't like pistol grip blasters.

Hi Jerry,

The only new Fusions in the UK are factory restricted to 2 rounds and unless you buy a new mag tube thay are usless. The low contour barrels sound cool though.

That is a good website - it is stored as one of my favourites as I can age my gun on it and they seem to know a lot about Golds !

I have the pistol grip sorted - I convert the 11/87 Speedfeed IVS that takes about 2 hours with a dremmel and drill - works great though. Have to change back to a straight stock for the US champs though.

Hope to see you then :rolleyes:

Mike