Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 870 Super Mag Problems

redbird1976

Hey Guys,

I'm having a problem with my 870. The slide is locking up with spent rounds in the chamber. I thought I had fixed the problem by tightening the nut on my magazine, but it keeps coming back. I tore the gun down last night and cleaned the magazine and retightened the nut. My gun has a 3.5" chamber, and I have a Choate magazine extension on the gun. This problem occurred prior to and since installing the magazine extension. Does anyone have experience with the same type of problem or know of a good gunsmith in the Laurel/Hattiesburg, MS area?

Thanks

Thomas

It's a well known problem on recently manufactured (within the last 10 years or so) 870 Express guns. I don't know if yours is an 870 Express Super Mag. It's often ammo dependant too.

The problem has something to do with the chamber. There is usually a burr, bad surface finish or something like that. I would suggest that you send the gun back to the factory to be fixed. Hopefully it is still under warranty.

Joe Mamma

I have been shooting cheap winchester shells out of my 870P for about 8 months now (one match a month)...and it just started sticking as I try to pump after firing. I have not cleaned the chamber at all...will have to do so before the next match!

It's a well known problem on recently manufactured (within the last 10 years or so) 870 Express guns. I don't know if yours is an 870 Express Super Mag. It's often ammo dependant too.

The problem has something to do with the chamber. There is usually a burr, bad surface finish or something like that. I would suggest that you send the gun back to the factory to be fixed. Hopefully it is still under warranty.

Joe Mamma

+2 on the express . Between them and the 887. they have a lot of problems . I strictly use the old wingmaster magnum. And have never had a problem with any ammo.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had problems with both the cheap winchester and federal ammo from walmart. After inspecting the shells once got them out of the chamber, I found that they did have an impression in the aluminium base. The gun operated fine when using shells with brass bases. I couldn't find any burrs, but I went ahead and polished the chamber with a 220 grit wheel. I haven't had any more trouble, but I haven't shot it much either. I'm laying most of the blame on cheaply made ammo.

i spent 8 years teaching at the federal law enforcement training center. the border patrol uses shotguns alot in training. we had chamber brushes mounted on a cleaning rod inserted into a drill. the only way to keep the plastic from building up in the front end of the chamber is to ream it out good with a chamber brush and solvent.

if you look with a bore light you can see the buildup at the front end of the chamber. go after it and keep shooting.

:cheers: