Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's with all the 380 auto and 9mm Browning...

westczek

My 9mm Luger range brass bucket seams to be getting more and more 380 auto/9mm Browning in it. Kind of annoying, but hey what do I want for free. One got through my pre-tumble sorting and inspection. It was a R-P 9mm Br headstamp, looks a lot like R-P 9mm Luger. I found it while inpecting finished rounds. anyone have any tricks for keeping the 9mm short varieties out, before loading, other than my current visual inspecction?

Westczek

The brass sorter sets are now available with a .380 insert plate.

That should help.

i just ordered one. i purchase unsorted bulk brass from a local indoor range and can't believe the amount of @*&*(# .380 and 9mm makarov i've been finding recently. can no longer rely on picking it out by hand, will just perform an addtl sort operation to weed out the .380 from the 9mm. aargh.

I check my brass by dumping a scoop full or two into a steel 2 inch deep rectangular cake pan. Steel pan works best because the brass slides around freely. Shaking sideways makes a bunch of the brass stand up and you can quickly spot cases that don't belong. Just grab the clusters of brass standing on end and toss them into a low container on the counter next to the pan of brass. When you've picked most of the standing brass just shake sideways again to make more stand up.

The brass sorter sets are now available with a .380 insert plate.

That should help.

i just ordered one. i purchase unsorted bulk brass from a local indoor range and can't believe the amount of @*&*(# .380 and 9mm makarov i've been finding recently. can no longer rely on picking it out by hand, will just perform an addtl sort operation to weed out the .380 from the 9mm. aargh.

The .380 sorter plate is worth it's weight in gold In my opinion.

I started reloading 9mm a couple months ago and quickly found out that visually sorting 9mm and .380 is for the birds. I would rather spend my time shooting than visually and manually sorting 9 from .380! :)

What press are you loading on?

I haven't found much .380 brass mixed in with my 9's, but I'm not using range pickup brass that frequently. I usually discover it in the priming step because it doesn't take a primer and instead lifts up out of the shell plate. I've yet to complete a .380 round on my 550.

• 2 weeks later...

One got through my pre-tumble sorting and inspection. It was a R-P 9mm Br headstamp, looks a lot like R-P 9mm Luger.

I had the same issue on my last batch of "free" brass :) I didn't realize until I was doing a pre-sizing headstamp peek.

I visually pick out pieces as I sort and clean. Usually I can tell difference when I size on my 550b. The resizing effort is much less. If I miss it then the brass pops out when I try to seat the primer. I too have had one .380 come out loaded.

biggest problem for me is when the pass the priming station but then get pulled out of the shellplate by the powder die when it sticks to the inside of the cartridge (after belling the mouth). this dumps a .380 full of powder all over the press - big PITA...