Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Powder system

I just started noticing something on my 550 here lately. When I put a case in for the first time the powder charge is 5.2, I dump the powder charge back in the hopper and charge the case again and get 4.9. I checked several cases and all had the same result. Do I not have something adjusted right? too much bell on the case? Causing that much difference in the charge?

I'm using VV N320.

Thanks.

This is well documented as being normal. Every time I go to my 550 I throw a handful of charges before I start measuring. The powder evidently settles into the bar after sitting for awhile.

There is are threads on it in here somwhere.

Hmm, I guess I missed that. Sorry. So what you are saying is your charges are fluctuating .3? I use N320 as well and it meters pretty darn good so something else is amiss. I doubt its got anything to do with the bell. You should only be belling enough to get a bullet to perch before seating it. I would check the following.

Every stroke the same? Thats critical in developing a consistant throw.

Go through the motion of seating a primer every stroke. The powder does not drop consistantly for me if I fail to run through the exact stroke I use in actually loading rounds.

Check the failsafe rod. It should be tight enough to make the bar bank out all the way on the return when pushing the handle forward as in seating a primer.

The powder bar should be banking out all the way to the left and the right.

But this is not just the first case, it's several cases. I'd say I tried at least 10 - 20 before I stopped.

So the first case was 5.2 and every case after that was 4.9?

The first case is not the case to judge the throw with. I normally throw 10 charges and then check the result. The powder needs to settle in the measure to be consistent.

The first case is not the case to judge the throw with. I normally throw 10 charges and then check the result. The powder needs to settle in the measure to be consistent.

I will charge the same case 10 times and average the total. Last time I noticed that after multiple powder charges the bell increases. Not sure if that is normal or not. I made up 200rds and the only time the belling seems to increase is when I have done this.

Excessive flare won't cause powder weight fluctuations;insufficient flare will. We suggest at least .010" flaring to ensure consistant powder bar activation. Additionally, start with the hopper at least 2/3 full, throw and return 10 powder charges before you begin weighing them. This settles the powder under the baffle.

Weigh one charge at a time until you are close to making the Powder Measure's final adjustment. Then weigh ten charges to set the Powder Measure to its final setting.

The Advantage of Dialing in a Powder Measure with the "Weigh 10 Charges” Method

It eliminates guesswork created by slight differences in individual charge weights dispensed by the Powder Measure. Slight differences in individual charge weights, reported by the highly sensitive scale, do not matter in the real world of performance. Or in other words, once the Powder Measure is set, the Scale is out of the picture.