Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida 2011 IDPA

• 5 months later...

Whoa. That stage-5, one-handed reload. . . tell me that he didn't sweep his feet or legs (at 2:25-2:30 in the video)! That just doesn't look like safe gun handling. I can understand the need to practice something like this in an intensive self-defense training class. But to have shooters at every skill level do this in a match seems unnecessarily risky.

Edited by Severian

I cleared it with the SO ahead of time. It was not mandatory to do the reload one handed. He said it was OK for me to do it. Since he didn't DQ me he must have been satisfied with the procedure.

I've done it several times before. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr0qBBQ-_sE

You've piqued my curiosity. I think I will tape my laser on, video it, and see if I actually sweep myself or if it was the camera's perspective.

I realize physical conditioning and age may heavily factor into this, but if I saw myself take that long to roll out of bed... like I was rolling out of bed... on video, I'd be quite mad at myself.

Hurry. :)

Also, you're either wasting time shooting a split that's longer than it should be up close, or you're dropping points by shooting splits too fast at range. Depending on skill level, it's one or the other.

Up close splits should be extremely fast (the sideways targets behind the cash register/counter are a good example) if you're not a new shooter.

Same goes for transitions. There are stages in these videos where I would have picked up thre to five seconds on you simply based on how long it takes you to lean out, find the next target, and swing the gun over to it. Chop half a second or more off of each of those, and it shows really quickly on your scoresheet.

Those are the largest things that jumped out at me with one quick viewing. Overall, quite solid though.

EDIT: Oh, and I would have held the leash in my teeth or something and performed a 2-handed reload to save time.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I realize physical conditioning and age may heavily factor into this, but if I saw myself take that long to roll out of bed... like I was rolling out of bed... on video, I'd be quite mad at myself.

Hurry. :)

I was shocked when I saw how long that took me. My back was bothering me a little but, nonetheless, I looked like a real lardass there. That's one reason I video myself.

EDIT: Oh, and I would have held the leash in my teeth or something and performed a 2-handed reload to save time.

I believe we had to start with it in hand and I would never walk my dog with its leash in my teeth anyway.

Thanks for the other comments. I will work on them.

Edited by HeadHunter

• 1 month later...