Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New guys

KyroWebs

We have our first match of the year tomorrow and invited a new shooter to help with setup and "show the ropes" a day early to minimize the pressure tomorrow. Anyways, he had a number of minor issues to work with. We helped with his "hollywood teacup" stance, but I got the impression that he thought we were a bit pushy. (It really reminded me of the latest top shot episode!) On top of all this, he is using a nylon holster that appears less than secure and I am worried it may lead to an issue tomorrow. I have a holster that I have offered to let him use, but he is satisfied with using his own. I really don't want to come off pushy, but I have that gut feeling that we're going to end up with a gun and holster on the ground tomorrow.

What would you do?

Edited by KyroWebs

Treat him like an adult.

Your job was to make sure he knows what's required of him.

Your offer to help was good, but the rest is on him.

Edited by wide45

As long as they are shooting safely and having fun, that is all that matters. Most people will figure things out on their own. It is easy to want to offer too much advice too soon. We all remember what it was like to be the noob and wish we knew then what we know now. We need to keep in mind that learning some things by doing and failing is the best way to learn.

...his "hollywood teacup" stance...

Is that the Jay-Lim-TopShot-Teacup grip?

Don't change his grip, just teach him to shoot "faster and more accurate!" :ph34r:

Seriously though, you can't get him to change if he doesn't want to. To overcome a problem, the first step is admitting one has a problem. I guess that works here. He'll take his bumps and he'll learn what works and what doesn't for him. You can encourage, but try not to tell him he has to go out and buy the brand new whizz-bang $300 rig. He's probably there to learn and have fun, and will improve. Offering him to use your gear was nice, but if he doesn't accept it that's his problem.

As was said though, make sure it's not a safety factor. Is it the nylon kind that has the mag pouch on the front? with the metal clip? or does it actually go through the belt loops? If it's just a clip then I can see your concern for safety.

Maybe he bought it on eBay? I remembered seeing this once during an eBay search, the "Todd Jarrett USPSA side holster"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Side-Holster-Para-Ordnance-Todd-Jarrett-USPSA-5-barrel-/110560348004?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bde90764

Help him as best he can, but don't force him. If he's really wanting to learn, he'll listen.