Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting off

lukec44

Hello all. Rcently out of the military and I am wanting to get into competition. I know I am wanting to shoot single stack but just curious on everyones opinion as to what would be the best gun to start with between $700-900. Thanks for everyones input.

A good starter gun if your going new is the STI Spartan (MSRP $698)in .45acp. .45acp will give you major power factor of which is a distinct advantage with score. The Spartan has a good trigger and is accurate. The only thing with it is you need to shoot round nose bullets to get optimum feed reliability. It is a government configuration, mainly meaning it is a 5" non-ramped barrel. Non ramped barrels without a little work to the throat doesn't feed well with Semi Wadcutter style bullets. Though an inexpensive trip to a competant gunsmith will fix that. It is a great gun for the money, best value on the market in my opinion. You will also need at least 5 magazines. This is an area you do not want to scrimp and will be a sizeable cost to do so. It will enhance the reliability of the gun whereas a cheap mag will cause you problems. For the .45 you are allowed 8 round mags, and you will want to use 8's not 7's for the advantage. I suggest a mag with a Round follower (not a flat) either a Wilson Combat, MetalForm Elite, or Tripp Research Cobra Mags. (Tripp research are also MetalForm made tubes). They range from $35 for wilson upto $60 for metalform. I will mention STI factory mags used to be Act-Mag brand and I did not like them. STI has recently changed to MetalForm Elite's as there factory Supplied mag. SO if you get "New" stock STI facroy mags you will be ok. The other things you will need is of course mag pouches and a holster. There are tons of options for each out there. You just want to have open top style mag pouches for ease of getting to them. As far as holsters, read the holster requirement per USPSA rules to make sure a particular holster is ok for use. Some retail sellers will have a note stating what approvals a holster has. A holster that is open topped preferably made of Kydex is a great choice for ease of drawing the gun. I hope this helps!!!!!

Awesome, thanks for the quick input. I have several wilson combat mags that i shoot out of my kiber SIS. Since they dont make them anymore I dont really want to do anything to it, that is why I am looking to get a new 1911 to shoot with.

I started out in SS the same way you are thinking, getting a gun for 700-900 price range. I did the same thing i bought a taurus pt-1911 cause it was cheap to start out with, but if i did it all over again i would have bought a springfield or sti second for a little bit more money. The reason why is because now my taurus the only thing that is left from stock is the slide and frame after gutting it and starting from scratch. So you might want to think about spending a little bit more to get a decent gun. I would stick with springfeild or sti as the best bang for the buck though.

I would spend the extra $ to get a Trojan if you're going to go with an STI. The Spartan is basically a RI Frame, Barrel, and Slide, with STI internals. The trigger feels good and the sights are nice, but it's nothing compared to getting one that's a complete STI gun.