Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Longer 1911 Sear Spring?

I got a Cylinder and Slide sear spring to replace the sear spring in my SVI. The left leg is ~.03" shorter than the spring it was replacing (SVI with the ball bearing in the center). I installed the C&S spring and dry fired and handled the gun. It worked for about 50 reps then all of sudden the hammer wouldn't catch the sear. I took it apart and found the left finger of the C&S spring had gone under the sear's leg.

I bought two C&S springs and they are both shorter than the SVI spring.

So I need to get another sear spring that has a taller left finger (the one that pushes the sear). I don't want to get another SVI (because I've come to not trust them) sear spring. Which sear springs tend to have a taller left finger?

Thanks.

I know the Ed Brown Hardcore sear spring has a longer center leg,not sure if it has a longer left leg. I ran into this same problem with C&S sear springs in my friends Para doing a trigger job on it. I ended up using a Dawson sear spring.

Can you tell me why you do trust the Sv sear spring? Are you talking about the titanium tri- glide sear spring? I have been running one in my limited gun for a couple years and have had no problem.

Can you tell me why you do trust the Sv sear spring? Are you talking about the titanium tri- glide sear spring? I have been running one in my limited gun for a couple years and have had no problem.

Just talking to other shooters over dinner. A couple of them have stated that the SVI spring "don't last."

Personally I've had two trigger jobs using these springs (done by my gunsmith). And they have lasted about a year each before they act up.

I've been wanting to try the Ed Brown Hardcore sear spring because it's made from spring steel. Wouldn't spring steel be better than regular steel for a sear spring? Shouldn't spring steel last longer?

I would think so. But if the SVI is working for you you might want to stick with it.

The dropped in C&S spring was a drastic difference from the SVI spring.

I've been wanting to try the Ed Brown Hardcore sear spring because it's made from spring steel. Wouldn't spring steel be better than regular steel for a sear spring? Shouldn't spring steel last longer?

I would think so. But if the SVI is working for you you might want to stick with it.

The dropped in C&S spring was a drastic difference from the SVI spring.

Yeah,the infinity sear spring sure gives a really light pull. I have added tension to both of the ones I have installed to get the pull up around 2lbs.

Colt sear springs are good. They are a little on the long side. The little bent over tab on the end of the sear leaf is also longer than everyone else's. I assume they do that to ensure the leaf wont slip off the sear. I will mention that the EGW sear spring is a colt manufactured spring. That information came direct from EGW when I spoke to them Monday. They also mentioned some of the colt springs they got were lesser quality than usual. He told me they are getting new ones in that have been corrected. That is why they are "out of stock" at the moment.