Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Classifier

bkeeler

I done a little experiment with the IDPA Classifier this weekend. I shot the classifier twice once at speed and once for more accuracy. The results suprised me. When I shot for speed I had 40 points down and the final time was 103 total. When I shot for accuracy I was less points down (30). But the time was 3 seconds slower(106 total). I think I am going to shoot for speed. Any comments on this are welcome.  

bk

Try it a few more times if you can...for accuracy.  I would be interested in seeing the results.  I also be interested in any observation that you make during this shooting.  Let me know if you notice how you gun/sight is tracking...where the front sight returns to (high/low?)...anything you see.

Thanks.

Flexmoney,

When I shot the first one I just saw what I needed to.On the second time I think I saw to much. Does that make any sense.

PS I am going to do this a couple more times when i get time.

Thanks

bk

bk,

That makes perfectly good sense.

I am hoping you can share a bit more though.  I am interested in hearing all about what shooters perceive...what they are aware of...while opperating at different levels of their ability.

When you shoot it again...try to see what you are aware of.  How the trigger feels?  How much the gun torques?  If the gun returns to the same place?  Tight grip?  Tension...arms, shoulders, back???  Sounds?  

...anything you notice.  

Hi, Flexmoney.  Since you asked it in this thread, can I share mine?  Last Sunday I was doing double Bill Drills (from low ready, not timed) shooting as quick as I can keeping every shot in the A-zone.  The right target was about 7 yards and the left target about 15 yards.  From my position they were spaced about 5 yards.  This is my recently purchased (and first) 1911, so shooting it was kinda new to me.

Before the first mag I did a couple of dry fires & got sight pictures of the targets.  I noticed that my left hand was 'slipping' from my right hand (strong hand.) I attributed this to the sunblock I applied an hour ago.  Pulling the trigger, the sights didn't moved and everything was perfect.

The first mag.  Once I racked the slide, I noticed myself getting cold, my heart was beating a bit faster and my hands became sweaty.  I thought "DANG!  Been shooting my glock for more than 3 years and this was the exact feeling I got the very first time I shot it!"  Took deep breaths to calm things down and when things started to settle in squeezed the trigger on the right target. Parfect! Squeezed another and the shot almost went through the same hole!  Then I fired away.  During this time my mind was actually noticing how my left hand was slipping from its grip and barely noticed the sight.  Slide lock.

Did a 'slow' reload, caught myself looking at the magwell noticing the mag being inserted and then looked at the left target.  I remember looking at the target then suddenly the front sight appeared.  Big red fiberoptic sight, then squeezed the trigger.  While firing I can remember the red dot bouncing up and down.  But it didn't go down enough between the notch before it went up again.  After firing I noticed the shots scattered on the upper A-C zone.  At this point I no longer noticed the left hand slipping its grip.

This went on for a couple more magazines and after every string of fire I kept thinking about how high the gun recoils.  At one time I caught myself looking at the firing pin end while noticing the red dot jumping in the background (?)

In the last mag I felt something changed in my grip because the gun was no longer jumping  high but seemd to go straight back with little flip ( I was already more relaxed and my hands were no longer sweating.)  At this point I ran out of ammo (only had 100 rounds) and was pissed at myself for not bringing more.

One thing I realized is that you have to really try relax to be able to shoot effectively.  This getting to be very long, sorry if I bored you guys.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

the top guys are doing it in under 70 sec. I talked to Ernest Langdon and Scott Warren, as on a few stages i was getting near their times and i was an expert, so they said... are you sandbagging that bad or what? so i started saying i couldn't break 100 on the classifier. After some good tips from them, i ran a couple in 88 with my SSP gun.

both said they could do it in the mid 60's anything over 70 was not a good day.

(as i write this i think.. my oh my what work i have to do)

• 1 month later...

sorry, didn't get emails about your replies, didn't mean to ignore you.

First it was stuff i already heard, dont' drop points on the first few strings.

the main idea from Scott Warren was "position position position" adn that string 3 seperates the masters from everyone else.

some of my own tips is practice your 10 yard "draw into moving get it smooth until you should still get about a 1.3 sec draw, my draw times died when i started moving at first. took some practice.

Get your head around the barricade. you can't see until you can shoot.

how you turn. make sure you get your head around, and index on center target.

personally all of this didn't do me any good. then after practicing my ass off, something just clicked. i can get it to "click" about 75 % of the time now, i can burn down anything with good hits... other times i push, and am destroyed by misses. no, not points down, total freaking misses!

When you say "Get your head around the barricade" are you saying start with your head around the barricade, looking at the first target you're going to shoot while waiting for the buzzer? I do that on the 20 yard stage.

The "index on the center target" thing on the El Prez -  I even managed to figure that one out all by myself. :)

i do that if i can, some clubs won't let you, i see people now that i know, draw their gun, THEN start looking around the baricade, when buzzer goes, get looking. right when you draw.. this is my idea, but get out so you can see all 3 targets it will greatly help transition time...also, don't cant the gun, its "tactical" and all, but doesn't help with hits.

i actually ment on the realoads... LOOK before you start sticking the gun out and magically following the front sight around with your eyes.

Duane, good for you, whats that saying about a blind pig and acorns? ;-)

• 4 months later...

huesos

I shot it, CDP Master, stage 3, string 1, 10.9 sec 2 down, string 2, 11.5 sec 3 down, string 3, 4.6 zero down.

CDP Master 88.++

ESP Master 79++

SSP Master  91++

I have shot it in practice ESP in the low to mid 70's best CDP time is about 81++, best SSP time is 85++.

Stage 1 accuracy, stage 2 speed, stage 3, aim small, miss small

If they won't let you look at the targets around the barricade, find a spot on the edge of the barricade which is centered on the A zone of the outside target and look at it while waiting for the buzzer.  At the beep, you know where the target is already and just make your presentation to that spot on the barricade and you will already be centered on the target.

Did it about 1 second faster on each string 1 and 2 when I qualified ESP and about the same times as CDP when I shot SSP using (should I dare admit it) my Glock.

(Edited by tightloop at 1:37 pm on Feb. 28, 2003)