Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Controlling the adrenalin

tambarika

Great advise, I think that one of the main reasons that people feel so much adrenalin and pressure in our sport is because its an individual and not a team sport. Team sports theres always someone to pick up the slack when you perform poorly. This whole thread just goes to show how important the mental aspect of the sport is.

First thing is to breath. Next, don't think about it. If you let the adrenaline rush get to you, you can't see everything in front of you. This may sound stupid but its true. I'm in Law enforcement and have been in pursuits where I was running 125-130 mph and catch myself zoned out. I was concentrating so hard on the car in front of me, I didn't see anything else. You don't see other cars or people. I was on the Interstate chasing one and all I could see was the emblem on his trunk. Not the tag, or back glass or anything else just the emblem. Then I realized what was going on and snapped out of it. Just try not to focus on one thing with your eyes, look around, and talk anyone standing close by to get your mind off of what your about to do and breath. When the buzzer goes off, you will shoot just like you have trained. And don't try to hold your breath thru the whole stage, BREATH.

I'm still a huge newbie.

That being said, visualizing the course as much as possible, and repeatedly trying to empty my mind nad telling myself to be as relaxed as possible worked well. Even though it felt like I would slow down too much, the pressure of the buzzer is still there and it makes me go just fast enough. I think. lol

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Everyione has to deal with adrenaline when they shoot; one of the best ways is stress breathing or taking a centering breath, in thru your nose for the count of 6, hold for 2, then out thru your mouth for count of 7; that will casue your heart rate to slow down because you are forcing your diaphragm to work which slows down your heart; Google LTC Dave Grossman on "Stress Breathing" or Dr. Jason Selk on " taking a centering breath"

How do you control the sheer energy that competing seems to impose on a person?

after 5 years of slugging it out at our local matches, i found a simple solution to my inability to see my front sight, and all of the problems that are generated from that basic premise. about 5 weeks ago i took my prescription glasses off, (mildly nearsighted, 62 years old, wear tri-focals) and like magic, i could see my front sight and began to call my shots for the first time.

in the past 5 competitions i have managed 1 first place, 2 2nd, and 2 3rd.

the problem is this. i lost two competitions by a single poorly placed shot brought on by an adrenalin surge on either the next to last, or last stage. i was unable to control the energy and blew it both times -- what would have been two first place finishes were relegated to a 2nd and 3rd.

i seem to do my best when i forget about competing, and just focus on shooting cleanly. however, this competitive urge has replaced all sense of reason and control in me.

any ideas on how to wrestle this monster into submission, or at least into compliance?

All good stuff here ... awesome thread as I have been struggling with the same thing as the OP ... one piece of advice I got from another shooter was ... get into a routine when you step up to the line ... watch baseball players stepping into the batters box - they all have a routine of some sort and they all do it exactly the same, every time ...

What do you do when given the "load and make ready" command? Doing the same things and having the exact same routine can help with that focus. Practice the routine during dry fire training, and then it becomes habit, which will help to keep that focus in the right place

I'm really new to shooting (just about a year now) but this has helped me in my last 2 matches quite a bit

How do you control the sheer energy that competing seems to impose on a person?

after 5 years of slugging it out at our local matches, i found a simple solution to my inability to see my front sight, and all of the problems that are generated from that basic premise. about 5 weeks ago i took my prescription glasses off, (mildly nearsighted, 62 years old, wear tri-focals) and like magic, i could see my front sight and began to call my shots for the first time.

in the past 5 competitions i have managed 1 first place, 2 2nd, and 2 3rd.

the problem is this. i lost two competitions by a single poorly placed shot brought on by an adrenalin surge on either the next to last, or last stage. i was unable to control the energy and blew it both times -- what would have been two first place finishes were relegated to a 2nd and 3rd.

i seem to do my best when i forget about competing, and just focus on shooting cleanly. however, this competitive urge has replaced all sense of reason and control in me.

any ideas on how to wrestle this monster into submission, or at least into compliance?

You can't make yourself a cool cucumber by "wrestling this monster." Being so close to victory causes nervousness in everyone the first few times they taste it, whether racing a car, playing tennis, or shooting a match. Once you've been there a few times, you'll be able to keep a clear head and use simple techniques to optimize your state of mind. Soon you will be that cool-headed guy who makes the other guys nervous.

There is a great line in Band of Brothers... the officer, Spiers, tells the enlisted:

"We're all Scared. You hid in that ditch because you think there's still hope. But Blithe, the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function. Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse. All war depends upon it."

+ + +

To me, this quote is brilliant. It also has parellels to how one should approach any competition. Forget the competition, forget the prizes... quit 'trying' to do well at the competition - you already have practiced and have an understanding of the fundamentals, now is the time to just shoot. Allow yourself to eliminate the desire and presure you put on your self to do well, and just let go, get into the moment and enjoy shoot the stage... the match. See the front sight, perfom your reloads, do what you do to your ability and get into the zone. When we achieve that, the adrenaline that results from our desire to do well subsides and it's another day on the range. I think this is why many of us newer shooters (myself included) can screw up the first stages, and ease into a comfort zone in later stages where we find ourselves doing so much better.

From my experience, eliminating my own pressures and expectations do well to work towards some of that consistency in shooting so many of us desire.

Cheers,

Talked to a massage therapist today ... she was working on my arms and I asked her about a few things, including this topic ... her suggestion was breathing, consciously breathing before starting. Think about your breathing and nothing else for a few seconds when you get up there. Most people will notice that their chest and muscles are tight and constrained, but if you don't think about it, you won't notice it. It doesn't even have to be deep breathing exercises or anything like that, just feel yourself breath in and out.

We practiced a bit and it helps to relax you for sure.

I will try it at my next match in a couple weeks.