Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading rifle ammo isn't so bad

395586480.jpg

395586481.jpg

My 5 year old asked if he could help. He did a great job seating the bullets. I can't wait until he's old enough to start shooting matches. I've let him pull the trigger on a shotgun before, I think I'll start him w/ the .22 in the back yard this summer if he shows the respect a firearm requires.

When I first started reloading I had the usual "how difficult/safe is it questions" and the gentleman behind the counter said "Well once you get it set up correctly you could probably sit back and have your son do it for you." Just goes to show... :)

One: great to see you getting the little guy involved. I'm still thankful for the people that helped me get into it, as my family is anti gun...

Two: so I shouldn't be too afraid to load my own? If that guy can do it, I probably could too... I did spend 23 years in school :angry:

He loves the Dillon SDB on the other side of the bench, but I only let him put the empty cases in the shell holder and empty the spent primer catch.

And we make sure to wash our hands well when we're done.

That's how I started, popping spent primers, probably a bit younger than him.

Around age 14 or so I asked my dad about loading up some .357's and he said.. "You know what you're doing, load them yourself." :unsure::goof:

At 16 he bought me a Dillon 550. B)

He knew what he was doing, because for the last 20+ years I've loaded 99% of his ammo. I think I got suckered. :roflol:

Some time ago I “hired” my little guy to size a large batch (500+) of pistol brass. After watching for a while I kinda let him go on his own and pretty soon I was hearing a bing-bang-ping sound coming from the loading area. <_<

He'd figured out that if he'd bounce each sized case of the wall just right it would ricochet off a shelf and land in a bucket he'd placed in just the right spot....most of the time his plan worked OK...maybe 2 out 3 landed in the bucket...the other 100+ cases we picked up off the floor. :wacko: