Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDm for the lady? good deal?

steviesterno

ok, so I've been trying to get a 9mm game gun for me, and one for my GF to shoot. For those of you following along at home, I'm loving the 2011 but don't exactly have $2k to spend at the moment.

I picked up an M&P 4" and she didn't love it. I like it well enough, and think it could be made to work eventually.

We had the chance to shoot a LNIB XDm9 and it just fit her hands. It works for me, and the trigger was better than the old XD I had and sold the same day.

So a couple of questions... Any reason not to run an XD in competition? It would be great for production, work in limited minor, and totally work in 3 gun with mag extensions. What else would be "needed" to reduce muzzle flip *(I don't load, yet) and make it the best it can be?

Also, is a pretty much LNIB XDm with 7 mags and all the gear for $550 a good deal?

Steve

I say GO FOR IT!! XDm nice that has those 3 diff backstraps, so it can fit the GF hand. I see no reason why not to run and XD or XDm in comp, as many do as myself. for 2 yrs been using XD40 service, just purchased Tatical model, for me comp gun.

Big plus when you (if you do) get into reloading, then the GF will be love the loads can can tweak up and also you will likey also.

Before you buy the XDm for your girlfriend I suggest you have her shoot it first if possible. I have 3 XD's including the XDm .40 S&W. Because of the bore axis being higher on the XD's muzzle flip could be a problem for your girlfriend. I went to the M&P and the muzzle flip was less because of the lower bore axis. I guess I didn't read close enough-looks like she's already shot it. If muzzle flip wasn't a problem for her then go for it.

Edited by The_Vigilante

I've shot a FN FNX 40, XDM 40, and M&P 40 almost back to back. There not much difference between them as far as muzzle flip as far as I can tell. Get some minor velocity ammo and have fun. I prefer my XDM 40 to my FNX or now departed M&P. It just feels better in my hands and the stock trigger is much better than the M&P.

ok, so I've been trying to get a 9mm game gun for me, and one for my GF to shoot. For those of you following along at home, I'm loving the 2011 but don't exactly have $2k to spend at the moment.

I picked up an M&P 4" and she didn't love it. I like it well enough, and think it could be made to work eventually.

We had the chance to shoot a LNIB XDm9 and it just fit her hands. It works for me, and the trigger was better than the old XD I had and sold the same day.

So a couple of questions... Any reason not to run an XD in competition? It would be great for production, work in limited minor, and totally work in 3 gun with mag extensions. What else would be "needed" to reduce muzzle flip *(I don't load, yet) and make it the best it can be?

Also, is a pretty much LNIB XDm with 7 mags and all the gear for $550 a good deal?

Steve

Yeah, that's a very fair price. Each mag (depending on where you find them) will run between $25 and $36 each, a new XDM is running retail for around $650, so yeah, it's actually a very good deal.

I run an XDM 40 in Production, and it's very competitive. I would suggest the 40 though...It can be downloaded for Production and feel almost exactly like the 9mm, maybe even better, loaded up for major and shoot L10 or Limited...All it needs is a trigger job. Springer Precision for that.

Hmm, well right now I don't load, and the 9 is snappy for her so I think 40 might be too much...

Plus I don't love 40. too snappy from what I've shot before. And Limited 10 is covered with a Les Baer... IDK, too many guns, and not enough hands or matches! I can't win.

Guess I better go out this weekend and warm up with some steel challenge!

ok, so I'm insane and went and bought it... I pick it up Saturday, and should run it in a steel match sunday. So, what are the best things to do to tune it up?

I'm thinking trigger work, mag well, mag extensions. Any suggestions on inexpensive but still decent options?

That was a heck of a deal. I ran my XDM40 pretty much stock in production last year and loved it. I just has Dawson sights put on it and added a Pistolgear magwell and Canyon Creek extensions for Limited. The trigger is pretty good to start with and gets better the more you shoot it.

If you want to spend the money on a trigger job, all the big three are good(CC, PRP and Springer). I havent felt an at home drop in trigger kit that impressed me yet.

Just shoot the thing!!!

My wife likes to shoot my XDM 9mm but doesn't shoot in matches. I added a Powder River 'match' trigger kit, a Wolff steel guide rod with 16lb spring and a magwell from Pistolgear (they make 2 or 3 different ones). I'm sure I could have a much nicer trigger if I sent it to PRP or Canyon Creek but I found the kit to be a very good value and it's more than adequate for my needs. The shipping cost alone would be more than the kit cost.

wow, sounds like a pretty cool set up... where did you find that trigger kit?

I was thinking about stuffing my guide rod myself with lead or something, but it might be easier just to buy one.

Do the new springs affect recoil or feeding with factory ammo?

Steve,

Contact Scott Springer of www.springerprecision.com and he can guide you into a sweet trigger setup. He can also get you a heavier guide rod of your liking and perhaps some magazine extensions. I too like the FO front sight!

I like the standard XD for both production and "Outlaw" Multi-Gun matches...smaller grip and I just like the 5 inch barrel, size does matter!

You got a good deal man!

Hope this helps,

Enjoy,

Sincerely,

RLTW,

Scott

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Steve, I know how you feel. I started my girlfriend out shooting steel with my Buck Mark. I ended up getting her her own Buck Mark so I could shoot mine! Now she likes shooting my XDM 9mm Open gun! I'm in the process of building her an Open 9mm Glock that I got a good deal on. She is really good with the 22 and I'm having second thoughts about the Glock! Guess I better practice more!

I think I'm pretty lucky to have a lady that loves to shoot as much as I do.

Scott at Springer did my XDM. Great shooting gun!

Edited by Bansheex

As others have stated, a heavier guide rod is one of the cheapest, simplest, and most effective upgrades you can buy for an XD. I don't have an XDm yet, so I'm not sure if that still applies.

It's been a couple years since I bought a guide rod, but Don's Guide Rod used to be the cat's meow. Wolff seems to be popular these days, and there are other choices as well.