Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

question about trigger reset...

Billmanweh

I've gotten some instruction from two different sources and I just wanted to touch base with some of you guys and get something clear in my head hopefully...

one person described what the trigger reset should feel like by having me fire a shot and hold the trigger to the rear...and then slowly release it until I felt the 'click' of the trigger reset.

the second instructor described it more as firing the shot and immediately jumping back on the trigger and getting the slack out.

do these two somehow go together and both are correct?

Bill,

I just let the trigger return to reset, and then stroke it back for the next shot. If you want to try this in dryfire, pull the trigger, hold it to the rear, cycle the slide enough to reset the action, then release the trigger only far enough to feel the click when it resets, then pull it again and repeat....

Bill,

I just let the trigger return to reset, and then stroke it back for the next shot. If you want to try this in dryfire, pull the trigger, hold it to the rear, cycle the slide enough to reset the action, then release the trigger only far enough to feel the click when it resets, then pull it again and repeat....

You need to be able to do this real fast without the sights moving.

I think you are describing two separate separate schools of thought (of course you are, but let me continue.)

The first instructor is describing the the "ride the trigger" school of thought where you always keep your finger on the trigger. Doing what Nik described you can actually feel the trigger reset "click" as you control when it happens by "releasing" the trigger after the gun cycles. However, riding the trigger can result in trigger freeze. Where the trigger will not reset because you did not let it out enough.

The second instructor is describing the "slap the trigger" school of thought where you take your finger fully off the trigger after each shot and the trigger will reset as soon as the gun cycles. One noteable trigger slapper is TGO.

It's a personal preference really which technique to use. You might want to pick one and stick with it.

I'm a trigger rider.

Factory Glock -- Ride

Vanek Supertrigger -- Slap

Slapping requires the right equipment - either a pretty good 1911 trigger, or a Vanek mod to the Glock. File the safety trigger to match the profile of the main trigger.

Also requires knowing "why" to slap and "what" you should get. What you should get out of slapping is a one-shooter-version of Leatham's teaching technique - hold the gun rock steady with your hands as your buddy sets off the trigger with his index finger. Surprise, yes. Clenching of the support fingers, no.