Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger MK III 22/45 getting sticky

ArtLan

I have a new MK III 22/45 "Hunter" that I'm using for BE. after a few hundred rounds it started to not eject, and I had to manually clear almost every round. (Federal JHP 40 gr ammo.) I cleaned and lubed the bolt and the receiver. then the next day at the range after about 100 more rounds the same thing. Am I missing something with regards to cleaning? Is this normal to have problems after only 100 rounds or so?

I did read somewhere that the empty chamber indicator might be a problem. Could this be the no ejection or is it something else?

If you are shooting .22 LR (any brand, out of any gun) for 500+ rounds, you need to clean out the chamber, the bolt and extractor. Cleaning could be as simple as just wiping/brushing the areas out or it could be as extensive as breaking down the gun and doing a thorough cleaning.

When the gun does jam, is it "failing to eject" the case once its out of the chamber, or is it "failing to extract" the case at all?

If you are cleaning every few hundred rounds and still getting jams, the issue may be a weak extractor spring. Ask Ruger for a new one - it's not hard to change out.

is the empty case pulling out of the chamber or is it stuck. if it's pulling out but not ejecting you might want to check the ejector pin. mine loosened up after about 40k. ejection after that was kind of iffy the faster you shoot the worse it gets. my 22 45 is a mk II. The mk ii does not have the loaded chamber indicator so I cant comment on that.

I can shoot 6 or 700 rounds before the chamber gets to gummed up. This seems to cause more problems with feeding than ejection though.

Edited by shadetree

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a Ruger 22/45 MKIII Stainless/Nylon "Slabside" I got on trade. It was NIB. First thing I did was take it apart, Powder Blast/brush/blow it, wipe the whole thing with SLiP 2000 EWL, then put some light Slide Glide on the bolt. I have not had any problems except for the cheap federal bulk ammo being fairly dirty and three rounds not going boom the first time (they did the second time). I have run a few hundred rounds through it as fast as I could. Did you do a good initial cleaning on the gun?

WG

On the Mark III.........

Clean around the Loaded Chamber Indicator. That thing is a nightmare. The latest generation pistols are nothing like the previous in that you have to be more observant of cleaning at greater intervals.

While I am a huge fan of oil in a pistol the Ruger mark series run better dry. Took me several years to find this out. I like to run the Federal Bulk pack ammo from Wal Mart and your pistol will need cleaning by the end of the pack.

While I am a huge fan of oil in a pistol the Ruger mark series run better dry. Took me several years to find this out. I like to run the Federal Bulk pack ammo from Wal Mart and your pistol will need cleaning by the end of the pack.

That is what I run. It is very dirty! I want to see how long I can go with the Slide Glide on it. It does seem to have "softened" it up a little.

The SLiP 2000 is a very "dry" lube and works very well, the Glide is an experiment. :D

WG

On the Mark III.........

Clean around the Loaded Chamber Indicator. That thing is a nightmare. The latest generation pistols are nothing like the previous in that you have to be more observant of cleaning at greater intervals.

BTW- If you don't like the LCI there is a guy on the Rimfire Forums who make filler plates to replace the LCI. I bought one for my 22/45 MK III. Really nice workmanship. I have posted a link to the last page of the thread which contains ordering details (see below).

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310919&page=41

There is also another guy on Rimfire out of Toronto who makes hammer bushings to allow you to remove the magazine disconector on the MK III Rugers. His name is Sam and you can email him at sg552.2@gmail.com for details.