Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

digital scale

ortega

I'm looking for a good cheap digital scale to complete my reloading equipment... any suggestion?

http://www.brianenos.com/store/be.scale_hp.html

I'm sure there are others but this "Lifetime Guaranty" you cnt beat that for the money! I bought one from Cabelas for 54 bux I ended up takin it back twice uprgrated and works well for 70bux I forget the model

http://www.brianenos.com/store/be.scale_be.html

Should have gottin this one! My Warrenty is up and this model has mor features and a better guaranty compared to what I got now... good luck on your search..

Edited by MARKAVELI

I'm using a beam scale that came with the used equipment I bought. What would be the advantage of going to a digital scale?

you don't have to wait for the beam to settle. I started on a beam too and got pretty good with it where I could read the center of the oscillation to determine if I was "on" or not.

Digital scale, no guess work, almost instant readout, no small parts.

I'm using a beam scale that came with the used equipment I bought. What would be the advantage of going to a digital scale?

I agree you don't have to wate for the digital scale to settle, you can always use the beam as a backup.. You want a good scalepay the money for a scale that has a good warranty I'm sure the weapons are well worth it..

I use an RCBS 502 that came with the reloading setup I bought from a family member. Your oil comment peaked my curiosity so I went looking for the instructions and the only mention of oil I can find is:

"Never apply oil or any lubricant to the pivots or bearings; this will lower the accuracy of the scale."

Am I missing something (I'm still fairly new to reloading)? What scale do you have and where do you put the oil?

No, follow the directions that came with your scale. I have an old Lyman beam scale with a little "fin" that sits in a small oil reservoire to "dampen" the oscillations. The joints themselves are not oiled.

I think I used Kroil because it won't gum, but as you know, Kroil is very thin so I don't think the damping was taking place like I should have been. I'll whip out the Mobile 1 and just keep it changed next time I decide to use that scale.

I used to buy and sell gold, and bought one on eBay. It's digital, accurate, goes to thousandths of an ounce, grams, grains, dwt (penny weight), and a few other settings.

Had it about a year and a half, and so far it seems to be able to hold up. It has a 4 pound limit so I use it to make sure my production gun is up to spec and within 2 oz. too.

Go with the one Brian has that has the life time warranty. It has a bubble so you can level the scale. I have worked with scales alot and this is important. I have a Dillon, I have on a small granite block that has been leveled. ONE caution about digital scales you MUST have a good solid work bench to put it on, and no FANS blowing air around. This will blow your mind.

I have a beam scale. Do I need to go to a digital or will my scale work fine? I've got the Dillon Exterminator???

I think your fine,.i had a balance beam scale but got a digital scale shortly after cause it is faster . I use both at times to check my digital is droping the set charge or calibrated.

One thing I didn't add as to WHY I got the digital. When reloading precision ammo for my rifle, I weigh every charge. That becomes VERY tedious with a beam scale. With the digital it takes literally a few seconds to settle, then you're done.