Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

accuracy standards/objectives for long gun field position shooting?

jaredr

how are you doing hitting a 2" target from 50 yds from any position besides prone? I'll address that question to the board, just curious whether anyone bothers trying to hit a 4 MOA target from sitting/kneeling or does everyone just get prone for shots smaller than a given size.

for me, if it's 6 MOA or smaller, it's not worth shooting from sitting/kneeling, I might as well just get prone and get there in a hurry.

Standing unsupported, Terrible. probably a 15-20% hit rate. I never got all 4 plates with my 10 round mag. It was my first time trying at 50 yards. The sights were all over the place. At 25 yard, for a low ready. I was running mid 4 seconds for all 4 plates. I was surprised at how quickly it went down hill.

I felt much the same way moving a 6" plate back to 100yds from 50 and shooting from standing or kneeling. All of a sudden, things had gotten much harder :surprise: (cue homer simpson sound effect).

sounds like a very useful drill to keep you in shape on field positions. have to say, if the off-hand and kneeling strings are 3MOA, then you're doing wayyy better than me :cheers:

Realize I have about 5,000 rounds of .30-06 downrange doing this drill! Also, I am shooting about 1 round every 6 to 10 seconds. I dare say it might be the only thing I have been consisent in doing my entire life, other than the requisite sleeping, eating, etc. I am in the process of getting my .260 gas gun and Bolt guns set-up and I might have to leave the .30-06 and start using the .260s and push out to 300 yards. :surprise:

I felt much the same way moving a 6" plate back to 100yds from 50 and shooting from standing or kneeling. All of a sudden, things had gotten much harder :surprise: (cue homer simpson sound effect).

This is why I got the .22 upper. I had a hard time shooting unsupported at a rifle match that I knew it was an area that need the most work, but I don't have a range that is more than 50 yards.

I tape a lot of my matches, it shows me what I need to work on. Every time I go to the range, I work on one of the many issues I am having from this stage.

During this stage I really struggled with my vision, not only was I having trouble holding the rifle still, but I could not always tell the plate from the background even though the plates were just painted. The Burris XTR reticle made seeing plates that were just inside the large circle hard for me. I lost the contrast between the two and felt lost. Although I did not have issues when shooting 200 yards at smaller plates, when I could see the edges of the plates. I experienced the same problem when using it to shoot at my 2" spinners at 25 yards, when I went to a trijicon with the chevron, my times dropped 20%. So sometimes equipment makes a big difference and is not always the same for everyone

And I learned, I should have practiced going prone with a longer mag at the range and not the match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV0QXgSnJHw

Edited by Supermoto

2 MOA

you're kidding, right? I can't even see a 2 MOA target at 100 yards with an unmagnified optic. Are you really hitting 2" circles @ 100 yards with a red-dot?

edited for crummy spelling

I have heard 2 moa from some top shooters on this board.

Pat