Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NICKEL

esweber

Ok so other then they might not last as long every thing is the same that's what i was wandering thanks

I make it a point to case gauge all my nickle brass. They don't seem to last as long as the brass cases.

In a nutshell you are correct. I have never had a problem with reloading nickle brass, however if I were spending the money to purchase brand new, I would not buy nickle. As said previously most gets lost before I have to worry about it cracking.

the nickel on the case is just plated, underneath it is just the same as normal brass case, i loaded my .38super remmington cases over more than 100 times, i started with a badge of 1000 cases, and after all these reloads i still have 800 good ones left the other 200 cracked or the primerpockets where really worn out.

and i find it more easy to reload nickel cases, because the are smoother than the brass cases.

Edited by bassochist

New, nickel is more expensive, flakes off (if you keep it long enough), and doesn't offer improved performance while reloading or shooting. Some will say it loads with less effort through the press, but clean, lubed brass isn't exactly tough. For those reasons I don't buy it new.

For mixed practice brass I use any nickel that isn't Speer or NT.

If none of that stuff matters to you it is a personal preference. We have one guy at out club who shoots 38 in nickel cases so he gets them all back.

For mixed practice brass I use any nickel that isn't Speer or NT.

What has been your issues with Speer?

I have broken several decapping pins on Speer brass; their flash holes are said by many to be a lot smaller than normal, causing this issue. I have never tried to measure this in any way so I don't know if it is true, I just know that it has caused me grief so I quit using it. I have also found that the primer pockets seem to be very inconsistent; some are a crush fit and others sloppy. Again, these are just my very unprofessional opinions; some people really like it.