Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet feeder die question?

rjennings10

LOL! That's funny because I'm not at all interested in the bullet feeder die, but I am interested in the bullet collator. I wonder if we should order a machine together and just get the parts we are interested in. One Tanfoglio shooter helping another. :-)

I don't think he understood what you meant. The die is only fed by the feeder. It's activated by a case. You could hand drop bullets into it all day long if you want to.

Thanks for clearing that up. I woulnt think you would need the collator to use the bullet feeder dies, all that does is line them up and fill up the tube.

If you just dropped the bullet in the die then you would not have to worry about aligning the bullet in the case. Wouldn't save much time, but more efficient

Than doing it by hand.

I have never used a bullet feeder die, that's why I ask!

Which press are you currently using to reload? 550 or 650? It would seem that if you use the bullet feed die you would now need another station for seating the bullet? With a 550 that would be somewhat difficult-would have to use the seating die to also crimp-no big deal I guess unless you wanted to use a Lee Factory Crimp Die in the 4th station. Wouldn't be a problem in the 650-you could use the bullet feeder die in the 3rd station-that is if it isn't already occupied by a powder cop or lock out die.

Was curious and called Hornady and spoke to Bob. You cannot use the die without the bullet feeding machine-at least that's what he told me anyway.

He didn't understand what you were asking. You can't use the bullet die without the bullet feeder because the die is the bullet feeder. The bullet feeder, feeder is called a collator.

Dillon doesn't help understanding by incorectly calling their case collator a case feeder.

I have a mr bulletfeeder bullet dropper and i bought some plastic tubes from mcmaster. have the GF fill them up just like primer tubes and feed it like that. it does save time and risk because your fingers are removed from the pinch point of the press, however total labor goes up. if your making a ton of ammo , you will probably have a buddy there anywayto help feed the press and sort the finished rounds, so its trivial. . .cheers.gif

Was curious and called Hornady and spoke to Bob. You cannot use the die without the bullet feeding machine-at least that's what he told me anyway.

The die will work independent of the the coliation device. The die will hold about 10-12 bullets depending on the ogive and the caliber. You could affix a tube to it and get a tall stack of bullets going or some other manual or auto coliation device. I have been using the Hornady Bullet feeder for a few months.

The die will work independent of the the coliation device. The die will hold about 10-12 bullets depending on the ogive and the caliber. You could affix a tube to it and get a tall stack of bullets going or some other manual or auto coliation device. I have been using the Hornady Bullet feeder for a few months.

Good to hear, thanks for the response. It made sense, I just needed confirmation!