Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spartan hammer follow question

ger

I do not think this is normal but maybe i am wrong.

The gun shoot fine, reloads fine, can use slide release after reload after reload and fire away but when i use slide release on empty or no magazine the hammer will follow to half cock position. I am puzzled , like i said gun works fine and only does the follow on empty or no mag when slide release is used.

Thanks in advance for the help

Just out of curiosity, why are you dropping the slide on an empty chamber? This is pretty generally seen as abusive to the gun.

Maybe, but the hammer should not follow.

ger,

If you do not know how to adjust your sear spring, take the pistol to a gunsmith before shooting it anymore. It could go full auto on you. It is hard on your sear when the hammer falls like that.

Happened to be last shot in mag, slide lock back, remove magazine, release slide , was going to pull trigger to insure safe pistol when i noticed hammer. Then after that i did it several times to confirm the repetition of symptom. I am really perplexed why it only happens on empty chamber with or without magazine, yet cannot be reproduced with a round in magazine.

Is that procedure considered abusive to gun? that is information that has never been explained to me.

I do have some minor spring bending ability and will increase tension on sear if you believe that is a place to start.

Any other pointers are advice appreciated

I'm suprised more haven't jumped in on this. There is a couple of reasons this happens. Worst case is that sear/hammer hook angle is bad, or some one cut hammer hook too short, or relieved the sear too much. These are all serious and need gunsmith attention. Because with time and wear you may go full auto. With a new gun I say the reason is too little spring pressure either on the sear or the trigger return spring. A simple test is to hold the trigger forward, so that it can't bounce back, then drop the slide. If the hammer follows too little sear pressure. If it doesn't follow, then it is trigger bounce. This has two parts to it. The spring pressure to keep it forward, then the amount of free travel. If your trying to get below 3# it is balancing act. I found that if you try to remove all the takeup or free travel it is diffcult to get below 3#. Also heavy recoil springs affects this also along with slide to frame fit. A heavy slide driven by heavy recoil spring, makes it hard for the trigger to just sit there.

So unless you've worked on 1911 triggers, take it too a gunsmith.

Thank you so much, that is a wealth of info i can do some diagnoses with! Had some family issues come up but when I get a chance to see which is the answer i will post back back

• 2 weeks later...

I'm suprised more haven't jumped in on this. There is a couple of reasons this happens. Worst case is that sear/hammer hook angle is bad, or some one cut hammer hook too short, or relieved the sear too much. These are all serious and need gunsmith attention. Because with time and wear you may go full auto. With a new gun I say the reason is too little spring pressure either on the sear or the trigger return spring. A simple test is to hold the trigger forward, so that it can't bounce back, then drop the slide. If the hammer follows too little sear pressure. If it doesn't follow, then it is trigger bounce. This has two parts to it. The spring pressure to keep it forward, then the amount of free travel. If your trying to get below 3# it is balancing act. I found that if you try to remove all the takeup or free travel it is diffcult to get below 3#. Also heavy recoil springs affects this also along with slide to frame fit. A heavy slide driven by heavy recoil spring, makes it hard for the trigger to just sit there.

So unless you've worked on 1911 triggers, take it too a gunsmith.

Well you were ON THE MONEY! I did the test with holding trigger and gun functioned perfect, put a bit more pressure on sear and trigger springs and it's working fine.

Thanks for the help and the spot on analysis of the problem

Ger

• 2 weeks later...

1911 triggers can be a tricky beast. I can put 2.5 lbs triggers on a Glock all day long with no problems. The first time I tried to do it with my Trojan was a huge learning experience. There are so many areas that can cause potential problems.

I would strongly recomend, if you don't already know, doing a search on how to safety check a 1911. Working through the safety checks can sometimes help diagnose problems, or make you aware of a problem that hasn't shown it's face yet. My Trojan appeared to be running 100% okay. One day I did a safety check and my hammer fell to half cock with the gun out of batter while pulling the trigger. My disconnector was dragging the bottom of my sear and it was just enought that it was causing a problem. Had I not safety checked the pistol thoroughly, I never would have known there was a problem, until there was a BIG problem.

And BTW, don't drop your slide on an empty chamber. It's really hard on your hammer and sear.

Edited by whatsupglock

The reason your hammer would follow on an empty chamber and not do so when chambering a round was because when chambering a round the slide was slowed down whereas on an empty chamber the slide would slam home full force and jar the sear out of the sear notch. As you discovered, a little bit of extra tension on the sear spring can solve the problem. Colt Gold Cup pistols had this problem from the factory due to the wide heavy triggers they came with and Colt devised a small spring loaded lever that was incorporated on the Gold Cup sear to remedy the problem. Holding the trigger back when dropping the slide on an empty chamber will also solve the problem unless, as someone else previously stated, there is a problem with the sear or sear notch where they engage.

It just so happens I recently had the same problem with my spartan. As a matter of fact it is probably close to getting it's boarding pass to come home from STI. The guys from STI had to stone down the rough spots on the sear and hammer as well as replace the sear spring. The sear spring (as supplied by armscor) was rubing on the frame disrupting the tension. So now I have a better quality sear spring. Unfortunately some of the small parts on the spartan that are armscor made are not as good when compared to actual STI parts. I suggest you contact STI and arrange to have the pistol returned to them for repair @ (512)819-0656. They will give you an R.A. # and there UPS account # so you dont have to pay for the shipping.