Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please Help...I am having resizing problems

ckfarris

I have been reloading on a Dillon 550 for the past year and have really been very happy with the press. However, a new problem has come up and I am looking for advice from people more knowledgeable than me. So let me explain...

I am using a Lee U-Die for resizing and de-priming. I was shooting Para P16-40 Limited with no problems with my loads feeding or functioning. I have recently however, upgraded my setup to a Benny Hill STI with a Schuemann barrel. I also recently purchased an EGW multi case gauge to check my rounds after reloading. I am finding that the base of my rounds are too wide and when I put the rounds into my case gauge, they do not seat properly and stick out approximately 1/8" in the gauge. I can only assume that they were never a problem with my Para because the tolerances are not as tight are they are on my Benny Hill. When I try to chamber a round in my Benny Hill, I am finding that more times than not the slide does not go fully into battery because the base of the round is not fitting properly. Also, when I try to chamber a round, the round gets "stuck" in the throat to the point that I have to force the slide back to get the round out.

I have played around with my Lee U die and cannot seem to get that "bulge" out of the base of the round. I am open to any and all suggestions here because I definitely want to get out and start running that Benny Hill. Thanks

A push through die like the Lee Bulge Buster will help a lot. http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1297491724.4791=/html/catalog/bulgebuster.html The kit requires a single stage press and a .40 S&W Factory Crimp Die. That bulge in your brass needs to be ironed out before you resize it.

Jim

OK, I just did some more messing around with it and here is what I am finding. Apparently the U Die is not the problem. After the using the U Die, the brass fits perfectly flush in the case gauge. I have narrowed down my problem to perhaps my crimping. I am using a Hornady taper crimp Die. I did some experimenting with the taper crimp (basically turning the die 1/4 of a turn, pressing it and continuously checking it in the gauge) and I can get the rounds to fit better in the gauge and they actually run a little smoother in the gun. The I tried chambering about 10 rounds and each time the slide went into battery. As I racked the slide to eject the round and chamber a new one, I can feel the slightest bit of resistance where it is still a snug fit. Having this information, do you have a suggestion?

Take your guns apart and drop check each round into the chamber. Also, measure factory ammo and compare with yours. Might find you still can adjust more. If you are using the U die right the Glock Bulge should be gone after the first stage so you seem to be on the right track.

FWIW

Richard

Measure your crimps, and don't over crimp. Your crimp diameter should be very close to 0.42 for the 40SW. If it is and you are having a chambering issue (and COAL isn't coming into play), maybe the problem is the barrel????

OK, I believe I have it figured out and the problem solved. It was a crimping issue. I don't think I was crimping enough and it was getting the round stuck in the barrel ever so slightly. The way is was getting stuck led me to think the bulge was at the base, when it wasn't. I adjusted my crimp and now the rounds are feeding properly and gauging perfectly. Thanks for your help on this.

It seems it was a combination of OAL and crimping. I loaded my Para rounds to 1.2" to ensure reliable feeding. That was too long for this Schuemann barrel so I have scaled it back to 1.17". That combined with a slightly tighter crimp, and everything seems to be running smoothly now. Thanks for everybody's help on this.